West Virginia University|
Saint Vincent College|
University at Albany
Religion: Roman Catholic
Antony Davies (born 4 April 1965) is an American economist, speaker, and author.
Early life and education
Davies was born in Savannah, Georgia to Alan and Margaret Davies. He was raised in Montoursville, Pennsylvania and graduated from Bishop Neumann High School in Williamsport, Pennsylvania in 1983. Starting at an early age, he acted with the Community Theatre League . He graduated cum laude with a B.S. degree in Economics with minors in Mathematics and Philosophy from Saint Vincent College in 1987.
In 1994, he received his Ph.D. in Economics from the University at Albany in Albany, New York, where he studied under Kajal Lahiri. His Ph.D. thesis addressed analysis of multi-dimensional panel data in econometrics, and it received the Distinguished Dissertation Award.
While a college student, he founded Paragon Software with Mark E. Seremet. Davies's first faculty appointment was at West Virginia Wesleyan College, following which he taught econometrics at West Virginia University. During the dot-com era, he left academia to serve as Chief Financial Officer and Chief Analytics Officer at Parabon Computation, where he was co-inventor on a patent for generating supercomputing power from idle Internet-connected computers, and recipient of a NASA grant for developing statistical techniques for data mining using supercomputers. In 2001, he joined the faculty at Duquesne University where he helped design the economics major, and where he continues to be employed at present.
In 2006, he co-founded an Internet discovery firm, Repliqa, that was purchased by indiePub Entertainment. In 2007, he was named a Mercatus Affiliated Senior Scholar and, in 2015, a Strata Research Fellow. In both positions, he conducts research on the economic effects of government policy. As a Mercatus Scholar, Davies regularly lectures on economic policy topics for staff at the U.S. House of Representatives.
Starting in 2012, he produced a series of videos on economics and statistics for the Institute for Humane Studies, the Foundation for Economic Education, and Certell. In 2015, he worked as Associate Producer for the Moving Picture Institute on their video series, FI$H: How An Economy Grows. Davies is a long-time faculty member at the Institute for Humane Studies and the Foundation for Economic Education.
Davies has published op-eds in newspapers and magazines throughout the country including the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, New York Daily News, Forbes, Investors Business Daily,and CNN.com. In addition, Davies co-authors a regular monthly column in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and has co-authored a college-level economics text published by Cognella. While most of his professional work in economics has been in the standard neoclassical tradition, Davies has also expressed interest in the ideas of the more heterodox Austrian School. He is also a regular commentator on The Blaze TV.
- LeBar, M., A. Davies, D. Schmidtz, eds., 2015. Equality and Public Policy, Cambridge University Press.
- Tosun, M., P. Yakovlev, and A. Davies, 2015. Principles of Microeconomics, Cognella Publishing.
Selected academic articles
- Davies, A., 2016. "Minimum wage: Good intentions and bad results." In The Minimum Wage: A Reference Handbook, ed. O.M. Levin-Waldman. ABC-CLIO, 136-141.
- Davies, A.; Harrigan, J.; Teague, M. (2015). "Equality, Liberty, and Prosperity". Social Philosophy and Policy. 31 (2): 180–203. doi:10.1017/s0265052514000314.
- Yakovlev, P. and A. Davies, 2014. How does the estate tax affect the number of firms?. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, 3:1
- Davies, A., K. Lahiri, and X. Sheng (2011). "Analyzing Three-Dimensional Panel Data of Forecasts". Oxford Handbook on Economic Forecasting, Analyzing Three-Dimensional Panel Data of Forecasts - Oxford Handbooks. Oxford University Press.
- Davies, A. (2008). "Human development and the optimal size of government". The Journal of Socio-Economics. 38 (2): 326–330. doi:10.1016/j.socec.2008.07.015.
- Davies, A. (2006). "A framework for decomposing shocks and measuring volatilities derived from multi-dimensional panel data of survey forecasts". International Journal of Forecasting. 22 (2): 373–393. doi:10.1016/j.ijforecast.2005.09.007.
- Davies, A. and T.W. Cline (2005). "A consumer behavior approach to modeling monopolistic competition". Journal of Economic Psychology. 26: 797–826. doi:10.1016/j.joep.2005.05.003.
- Davies, A. (2004). "Computational intermediation and the evolution of computation as a commodity". Applied Economics. 36 (1): 1131–1142.
- Davies, A., 2004. "The Role of Religion in the Economy." International Journal on World Peace, 21(2): 37-42. JSTOR 20753439
- Davies, A. and K. Lahiri (2000). "9 - Re-examining the rational expectations hypothesis using panel data on multi-period forecasts". Analysis of Panels and Limited Dependent Variable Models. Cambridge University Press.
- Davies, A. and K. Lahiri (1995). "A new framework for analyzing survey forecasts using three-dimensional panel data". Journal of Econometrics. 68: 205–227. doi:10.1016/0304-4076(94)01649-K.
Selected policy briefs
- Davies, A. (2014). "Establishing a Minimum Wage for Contractors Docket ID: WHD-2014-0001 Public Interest Comment" (PDF). Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- Davies, A., 2014. Why Family Businesses Matter, Competitive Enterprise Institute.
- Davies, A., 2010. The Cost of Compromise: Impact of the 2011-2012 Estate Tax. American Family Business Foundation Policy Brief.
- Pulito, J. and A. Davies, 2009. Government run liquor stores: the social impact of privatization. Commonwealth Foundation Policy Brief, 21(03): 1-16.
- Yakovlev, P. and A. Davies, 2009. Pennsylvania’s flawed film tax credit: what the ERA study won’t tell you. Commonwealth Foundation Policy Brief, 21(2): 1-8.
- Valchev, R. and A. Davies, 2008. Do federal matching funds inhibit state growth? Mercatus Center Working Paper, 08-30 (August).
- "Alumni Emails -- St. John Neumann Regional Academy". sjnra.org.
- "Daniel Finn, Antony Davies Final Speakers in Student Affairs Series April 7". stvincent.edu.
- "List of Graduated Students and Their Dissertations". albany.edu.
- "Google Scholar Citations". google.com.
- "Analysis of Panels and Limited Dependent Variable Models". Cambridge University Press. 11 February 2010.
- U.S. Patent No. 6,463,457, System and Method for the Establishment and Utilization of Networked Idle Computational Power.
- "NASA readies modeling and simulation for launch in browsers -- GCN". gcn.com.
- "Antony Davies, Ph.D. - Palumbo Donahue School of Business - Duquesne University". duq.edu. Archived from the original on 2015-07-11.
- "Repliqa.com Secures Financing - Presents at ETRE 2006". PRWeb. 29 September 2006.
- "Strata Upcoming Events - – Speaker Series: Antony Davies". strata.org. Archived from the original on 2015-04-15.
- "Tax Reform: Simplification is a Good Policy". mercatus.org.
- "Learn Liberty - Antony Davies". Learn Liberty.
- "Words and Numbers - FEE.org".
- "Antony Davies - Certell".
- "Fi$h: How An Economy Grows". thempi.org.
- "Antony Davies". theihs.org. Archived from the original on 2015-07-10.
- Foundation for Economic Education. "Antony Davies". fee.org.
- "Antony Davies, Ph.D. - Press". antolin-davies.com.
- "Search - Tribune-Review". triblive.com.
- "Antony Davies Discusses Bank Bailouts on The Blaze". mercatus.org.
- "Antony Davies Discusses Big Business Working with Big Government on The Blaze". mercatus.org.
- "Antony Davies Discusses the Idea of the $1 Trillion Coin on The Blaze". mercatus.org.
- Hani Sarji (3 January 2011). "Report Finds That 65,000 Small Businesses And Farms Will Be Exposed To Estate Tax In 2011". Forbes.