Antony Hickling (born 8 November 1975) is an English Independent film maker, actor and writer. He became a French citizen in 2018.
Antony Hickling was born in South Africa, Johannesburg the son of an Indian father and English mother. The family returned to the United Kingdom and they eventually settled in Greater Manchester where Hickling trained as an actor at Manchester University (The Arden School of Theatre). A fourth year under the direction of queer artist and puppeteer Nenagh Watson was spent writing about the work of Derek Jarman, after which he moved to London to pursue an acting career. After numerous years of working in theatre he moved to France and went on to study for his master's degree  then doctorate  in Arts of the Stage at Paris 8 University, under the direction of professor Claude Amey , his main focus on "Queer Arts". During this time he continued to work as an actor and participated in workshops with companies and practitioners such as The Living Theatre with Judith Malina, Tage Larsen from Odin Teatret, Antonio Araujo, Lionel Soukaz, Jacques Clancy, Jack Waltzer & Michele Kokosowski. After several years of study he left his doctorate unfinished to pursue a career in cinema. After training at The CEFPF film school Paris he went on to direct films related to his research on Queer. In 2015 he co-founded the production company Hickling & Allen Films. .
Hickling's films are characterised by religious symbolism, metaphor and explicit sexual representations, often blending the boundaries between surrealism and realism. His style intertwines theatrical genres, freely crossing from drama to dance and transcending traditions of individual forms. The work incorporates equally performance art, poetry & painting. His films have been screened at film festivals worldwide. The Trilogy: Little Gay Boy, Where Horses Go To Die and Frig are of an autobiographical nature and Frig marks the end of what Hickling has called the first chapter. He continues to work as an actor specialising in voice over and has provided voices in advertising, video games, cartoons and animation movies.
- Birth 1, Birth 2 Birth 3 (Short Films 2010)
- Q.J, (Short film 2012)
- Little Gay Boy (2013) (73min)
- The End Of Cruising by Todd Verow (2013)
- One Deep Breath (2014) (56min)
- P.D, (Short film 2014)
- Where Horses Go To Die (2016) (67min)
- Frig (2018) (60min)
- The Winter's Tale directed by Erica Whyman at Southwark Playhouse (2000) 
- Dolly West's Kitchen, directed by Paul Kerryson. Leicester Haymarket Theatre
- Death of a Salesman, directed by Kully Thiarai. Leicester Haymarket Theatre 
- Unsuitable girls, directed by Kully Thiarai. Pilot Theatre
- Heavy Rain (2010)
- 8th Wonderland (2010)
- Mouk (2014)
- Connasse, Princesse des cœurs (2015)
- Louise by the Shore (2016)
- Long Way North (2016)
Films projected in the following international film festivals 2010–2019 : Festival of films Gays & Lesbien Paris, France FFGLP 2010. Gay et Lesbien film festival of Turin, Italy 2015. Festival Internacional de Cine Lésbico y Gai de Madrid, Spain 2013. Mix Brasil Festival of Sexual Diversity 2014. Porn Film Festival Berlin 2013 & 2014 Germany. Festival Désir..Désirs Tour, France 2013. The International Film Festival of Uruguay 2013. Iris Prize Wales, UK 2014. Kashish MIQFF Mumbai, India 2012. Durban Gay & Lesbian film festival S.Africa 2013. BFI Flare London, U.K 2013. TimiShorts Romania 2014. Cinemarge Bordeaux, France 2014 & 2015. Next Film festival Romania 2014. Queer Lisboa 2014 & 2013, Portugal. Zinegoak Bilboa, Spain 2014 & 2015. TLV Fest Israel 2013. Merlinka festival, Serbia 2013. Cinepride Film festival, Nantes, France 2015. In&Out: 6e Festival Gay et Lesbien of Nice, France 2014. Festival Only Porn, Lavoir Public, Lyon, France 2013. MIX Copenhagen 2014. Padova Pride Village, Italy 2014. Rio Festival of Gay Cinema 2015, Rio de Janeiro. Hannover Queer Film Festival, Germany 2016. Polychromes Nice-Marseille, France 2016. Queer Lisboa, Portugal 2016. L'Etrange Films Festival Forum des Images, Paris, France 2016. Chéries-Chéris 2016 MK2 Paris, France. Galerie Michèle Chomette, Paris, France 2017. Zinegoak Bilbao, Spain International LGBT Film Festival 2017. Thessaloniki International LGBTQ Film Festival (Cinema Museum of Thessaloniki Cinémathèque), Greece 2017. Festival Les Hérault du Cinéma et de la Télé, Le Cap d'Agde, France 2017. MIX Mexico Festival de Cine y Video 2017. Cine-Pride l'Association Homogène, le Mans, France 2017. CAC La Traverse, Centre d'art contemporain d'Alfortville, France 2017. Festival cultural de diversidad sexual y género, Mexico 2017. Les Bisqueers Roses, Reins, France 2017. Bucharest Film Awards, Romania 2017. Zinegoak Bilboa, Spain 2018. TLVFest Tel Aviv Cinematheque, Israel 2018. L'Etrange Films Festival Forum des Images, Paris, France 2018. MIX Mexico Festival de Cine y Video 2018. Traum-Kino, Kiel, Germany 2018. Berlin Porn Film Festival, Germany 2018. BIG!ff - Bari International Gender film festival, Italy 2018. Rio Festival de Gênero & Sexualidade no Cinema 2018, Brasil. Videopride de Arcópoli, Museo La Neomudejar, Madrid 2018. Festival cultural de diversidad sexual y género, Cuernavaca, Mexico 2018. Chéries-Chéris 2018 MK2 Paris, France 2018. Lausanne Underground Film and Music Festival, Switzerland 2018. The International Queer Film Festival Merlinka or Merlinka festival, Belgrade, Serbia 2019. Queer Zagreb, Perforacije Festival Zagreb, Croatia 2019. The Porn Film Festival Vienna, Austria 2019. Hacker Porn Film Festival-No Gender No Border, Rome, Italy 2019. The IV DIGO – Goias Sexual diversity and gender international Film Festival, Brazil 2019. ShanghaiPRIDE Film Festival (ShPFF), Shanghai, China, 2019.
Film Festival Focus, Jury & Conference
- Jury, TGLFF, Torino Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Italy 2015 
- Jury & Focus, Timi Shorts- Timișoara, Romania 2015 
- Jury, Chéries-Chéris  Paris, France 2012
- Jury, Serile Filmului Gay International Film Festival 2012, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
- Round table discussion with Randal Kleiser, about the current state of contemporary LGBTQI cinéma for the Champs-Élysées Film Festival, Paris  Paris 2017
- Focus on his work at BIG!ff - Bari International Gender film festival Italy 2018, sponsored by Apulia Film Commission Italy.
- Focus on his work at Rio Festival de Gênero & Sexualidade no Cinema 2018
- Focus on his work at the festival cultural de diversidad sexual y género, Cuernavaca, Mexico 2018.
- Focus on his work at Chéries-Chéris MK2, Paris, France 2018
- Hybrida [GeSex#1] International colloquium on gender and sexuality perspectives in contemporary Francophone artistic-literary creation University of Valencia 2018
- Focus on his work at The International Queer Film Festival Merlinka or Merlinka festival, Belgrade, Serbia 2019
- Focus on his work at Queer Zagreb, Perforacije Festival Zagreb, Croatia 2019
- Jury, Sadique-master film festival, Paris 2019 
- Focus on his work at The IV DIGO – Goias Sexual diversity and gender international Film Festival, Brazil 2019.
- Little Gay Boy Oct 2015 Paris at Saint-André-des-Arts (cinéma)
- Where Horses Go To Die Jan 2017 Paris at Saint-André-des-Arts (cinéma)
- Frig 2018 Paris at Saint-André-des-Arts (cinéma)
- Little Gay Boy, 2013 Harmattan, France, Tongariro Films Poland 2013, Cinema Uno Mexico, Optimale France, Open Reel Italy
- Boys on Film X, 2013 Pecadillo Pictures, UK
- One Deep Breath, 2015 Optimale, France, Open Reel Italy, Cinema Uno Mexico
- Par-Courts Gay 5, PD, 2016 Optimale, France
- Where Horses Go To Die, 2017 Optimale, France
- Male Shorts: International V1, PD, 2018 Breaking Glass Pictures, USA
- Frig, 2019 Optimale, France
Awards and nominations
- One Deep Breath Best experimental feature at Zinegoak film festival in Bilboa 2015
- Holy Thursday (The Last supper) – Special mention from the Jury. Chéries-Chéris 2013
- Special Mention for his work as a director at Rio FICG 2015 for Little Gay Boy & One Deep Breath
- Nominated for "Queer Arts prize" for Queer Lisboa 2016 for Where Horses Go To Die
- Nominated for "Best experimental feature" Zinegoak International LGBTQ Film Festival, Spain, 2017 for Where Horses Go To Die
- Nominated for "Best Feature, Best Director & Best Actor (Jean-Christophe Bouvet) " Bucharest Film Awards, Romania, 2017 for Where Horses Go To Die
- Nominated for "Best Narrative Feature" TLVFest Tel Aviv Cinematheque, Israel 2018 for FRIG
- Nominated for "Best Feature" Rio Festival de Gênero & Sexualidade no Cinema 2018, Brasil for Where Horses Go To Die & FRIG
- Nominated for "Best Feature Film" Berlin Porn Film Festival, Berlin 2018, for FRIG
- Nominated for "Best International Feature" Lausanne Underground Film and Music Festival, Switzerland 2018, for FRIG
- Nominated for "Best Feature Film" Hacker Porn Film Festival-No Gender No Border, Rome, Italy 2019, for FRIG