Antony and Cleopatra (1972 film)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Antony and Cleopatra
Directed byCharlton Heston
Produced byPeter Snell
Written byFederico De Urrutia
Charlton Heston
William Shakespeare
StarringCharlton Heston
Hildegarde Neil
Eric Porter
John Castle
Fernando Rey
Juan Luis Galiardo
Carmen Sevilla
Music byJohn Scott
CinematographyRafael Pacheco
Edited byEric Boyd-Perkins
Distributed byRank Organisation (UK)
Release date
2 March 1972 (UK)
Running time
160 min
CountryUnited Kingdom
Budget$1.8 million[1]

Antony and Cleopatra is a 1972 film adaptation of the play of the same name by William Shakespeare, directed by and starring Charlton Heston, and made by the Rank Organisation. Heston and Hildegarde Neil portray the titular roles of Mark Antony and Cleopatra, with a supporting cast featuring Eric Porter, John Castle, Fernando Rey, Carmen Sevilla, Freddie Jones, Peter Arne, Douglas Wilmer, Julian Glover and Roger Delgado. The picture was produced by Peter Snell from a screenplay by Federico De Urrutia and the director.[2]



Distributors in 21 countries put up 65% of the $1.8 million budget (which was actually $2.7 million but Heston and Snell deferred their fees). A bank put up the remainder 35%. Heston asked Orson Welles to direct, but Welles turned it down, so he decided to do it himself.[1]

The film was shot in Spain. Heston re-used leftover footage of the sea battle from his 1959 film Ben-Hur.[3]

Charlton Heston had played Mark Antony in two previous Shakespearean films, both adaptations of Julius Caesar, the first in 1950, the second in 1970 (also produced by Peter Snell).

Home video[edit]

The film received poor reviews[4] and, as a consequence, a very limited release in the United States. It was released on DVD in March 2011.[5]


  1. ^ a b Heston plays hero for Bard Mills, Bart. Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file) [Chicago, Ill] 26 Mar 1972: j16.
  2. ^ "Antony and Cleopatra : Overview". msn. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
  3. ^ Rothwell, Kenneth S. (28 October 2004). A History of Shakespeare on Screen: A Century of Film and Television. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-54311-8.
  4. ^ Rosenthal, Daniel. "Shakespeare on Film: Antony and Cleopatra". Movie Maker. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
  5. ^ Antony & Cleopatra: Movies & TV. Retrieved on 14 November 2011.

External links[edit]