Antony and Cleopatra (1972 film)
|Antony and Cleopatra|
|Directed by||Charlton Heston|
|Produced by||Peter Snell|
|Written by||Federico De Urrutia|
Juan Luis Galiardo
|Music by||John Scott|
|Edited by||Eric Boyd-Perkins|
|Distributed by||Rank Organisation (UK)|
|2 March 1972 (UK)|
Antony and Cleopatra is a 1972 film adaptation of the play of the same name by William Shakespeare, directed by and starring Charlton Heston, and made by the Rank Organisation. Heston and Hildegarde Neil portray the titular roles of Mark Antony and Cleopatra, with a supporting cast featuring Eric Porter, John Castle, Fernando Rey, Carmen Sevilla, Freddie Jones, Peter Arne, Douglas Wilmer, Julian Glover and Roger Delgado. The picture was produced by Peter Snell from a screenplay by Federico De Urrutia and the director.
- Charlton Heston as Mark Antony
- Hildegarde Neil as Cleopatra
- Eric Porter as Enobarbus
- John Castle as Octavius Caesar
- Fernando Rey as Lepidus
- Carmen Sevilla as Octavia
- Freddie Jones as Pompey
- Peter Arne as Menas
- Douglas Wilmer as Agrippa
- Roger Delgado as Soothsayer
- Julian Glover as Proculeius
Distributors in 21 countries put up 65% of the $1.8 million budget (which was actually $2.7 million but Heston and Snell deferred their fees). A bank put up the remainder 35%. Heston asked Orson Welles to direct, but Welles turned it down, so he decided to do it himself.
- Heston plays hero for Bard Mills, Bart. Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file) [Chicago, Ill] 26 Mar 1972: j16.
- "Antony and Cleopatra : Overview". msn. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- Rothwell, Kenneth S. (28 October 2004). A History of Shakespeare on Screen: A Century of Film and Television. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-54311-8.
- Rosenthal, Daniel. "Shakespeare on Film: Antony and Cleopatra". Movie Maker. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- Antony & Cleopatra: Movies & TV. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 14 November 2011.