Anugerah Bintang Popular
|Anugerah Bintang Popular|
Anugerah Bintang Popular 2007
|Awarded for||Most popular celebrity in the entertainment industry|
Anugerah Bintang Popular (Malay: Popular Star Award), commonly known by the acronym ABPBH, originally named as Anugerah Pelakon/Penyanyi Popular, is an award presented annually by Berita Harian of Malaysia to recognise excellence of professionals in the entertainment industry, including the film industry, as well as record industry. The award ceremony features performances by prominent artists. It is the most prestigious people's choice award for Malaysian artists in the entertainment industry.
The award was established in 1987 and it is totally based from the votes submitted by the readers of Berita Harian. The first Anugerah Bintang Popular telecast took place on the night of 1 December 1987 in Dewan Bunga Raya, Putra World Trade Centre. There were only seven categories presented in the first award ceremony.
In 1989, Radio Televisyen Malaysia in collaboration with SALEM made Anugerah Bintang Popular available for live broadcasting. The award took place in Angkasapuri on 13 January 1990. On that very night, a new category of Most Popular Artiste was introduced, which is still maintained until now.
The recording labels, TV stations, radio stations, and film production companies are responsible to hand over a name list of artists that are eligible to compete in each category. The nominees could be personnels, celebrities, actors, and singers that are active and consistent in their own field in a certain period of time.
For each radio network or station, nomination is limited to three male and female radio presenters. The radio station must be aired at least in three states. For TV host, nominations are eligible for those who are the steady host for a certain programme, at least for two seasons since its broadcast.
Nomination for actors and actresses are based from films that have passed the evaluation of Lembaga Penapisan Filem (LPF). Each film could nominate two actors and actresses for the category of Most Popular Movie Actor and Most Popular Movie Actress, apart from the category of Best New Male Artist and Best New Female Artist. On the other hand, terms and conditions for each category of Most Popular Male Singer, Most Popular Female Singer, and Most Popular Group is guided by the terms applied in Anugerah Industri Muzik.
The early nomination would be published in Berita Harian, usually for five consecutive weeks. In that period of time, the readers will select the best five nominees for each category that are available. Once the five nominees are finalised, the second round of voting session would be made available to all readers in which they have to select only one winner for each category. The result would be announced in the prestigious ceremony every year.
The Anugerah Bintang Popular award are awarded in a series of categories, each of which isolate a specific contribution to acting and music. The standard awards list nominees in each category from which a winner is selected. Some categories have been added and removed over time. The following is a list of the currently awarded categories:
- Most Popular Artiste
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Most Popular TV Actress
- Most Popular TV Actor
- Most Popular Film Actress
- Most Popular Film Actor
- Most Popular Group/Duo
- Most Popular Female Singer
- Most Popular Male Singer
- Most Popular Nasyid
- Most Popular Female New Artist
- Most Popular Male New Artist
- Most Popular Female Comedy Artist
- Most Popular Male Comedy Artist
- Most Popular Female Radio Presenter
- Most Popular Male Radio Presenter
- Most Popular Female TV Host
- Most Popular Male TV Host
Most Popular Artiste Winner
- Since its first introduction back in 1990, the award of Most Popular Artiste has been treasured by ten celebrities namely Aishah (1990), Zainalabidin (1991), Eman Manan (1992), Sofea Jane (1993) M. Nasir (1994), Ziana Zain (1995), Datuk Siti Nurhaliza (1997-2001, 2004, 2009), Rosyam Nor (2002), Saiful Apek (2003), Nabil (2008), and Mawi (2005-2007).
- In Anugerah Bintang Popular 2006, Datuk Siti Nurhaliza once again won the award of Most Popular Female Singer. To date, she has won the award for the past ten consecutive years since she first received it back in 1996.
- Datuk Siti Nurhaliza, Mawi, Aaron Aziz and Shaheizy Sam are the four celebrities that have won the award of Most Popular Artiste for more than once. Overall, Siti has won the award for the seventh time, with six consecutive wins from 1996 until 2001 and two in 2004 and 2009. On the other hand, Mawi has won the award for the three consecutive years from 2005 until 2007.
- Wan Maimunah, Rosyam Nor, Datuk Siti Nurhaliza, Saiful Apek, Rabbani and Linda Onn are the only artistes who have garnered an award in their respective categories for five consecutive years and more. As of 2011, Faizal Ismail and Fara Fauzana has won an award for Most Popular Radio Announcer for five consecutive years.
- Nabil was the second comedian won in the Most Popular Artiste after Saiful Apek.
- Neelofa is the first female Malaysian celebrity won Most Popular Artiste after Datuk Siti Nurhaliza since 2009.
- Ifa Raziah is the first winner for new category Most Popular Versatile Artist which introduce in 2015
- Anugerah Bintang Popular, official site