|Born||29 March 1982|
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Instruments||Guitar, Musical composition, Songwriting, Vocals|
|Labels||Anupam Roy Creations|
Anupam Roy (Bengali: অনুপম রায়; born 29 March 1982) is an Indian singer-songwriter from Kolkata, West Bengal. He is best known for his song Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মতো থাকতে দাও) , which appeared on the soundtrack to the 2010 film Autograph. Since then, he has gone on to compose, write lyrics and sing for many Bengali films. In 2015, he made his Bollywood debut, composing the songs and score for Piku. He was nominated for the 61st Filmfare Award for Best Music Director, and won the 61st Filmfare Award for Best Background Score for Piku. He is a recipient of 64th National Film Award for Best Lyrics for the song Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho.
Roy has been writing songs since his childhood days. His biggest break was having two of his songs featured in the Bengali film Autograph (2010) by Srijit Mukherji. Roy wrote and composed Bneche Thakaar Gaan (বেঁচে থাকার গান), sung by Rupam Islam & also by himself in another version and Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মতো থাকতে দাও), which he sang himself. Roy subsequently debuted as music director for the Bengali movie Chalo Paltai (2011). In the same year movies like Baishe Srabon, Rang Milanti released where he continued his work as music director, lyricist and vocalist. In 2012, Hemlock Society released where he worked as music director/lyricist/vocalist. Songs like Ekhon Anek Raat & Amar Mawte catapulted his success to another level. 2014, marked the release of 4 films where he worked as music director. Songs from Highway and Chotushkone did remarkably well on music charts. Boba Tunnel and Bawshonto Eshe Gechhe were super hit numbers.
Apart from film music, Roy has three solo albums. He released Durbine Chokh Rakhbona (দূরবীনে চোখ রাখব না), his debut album in 2012 which contains tracks like Bijli Baati, Tistaan and also the original version of Benche Thakar Gaan. He followed it up with Dwitiyo Purush(দ্বিতীয় পুরুষ) in 2013 with a music video of Adbhut Mugdhota. His third album Bakyobageesh was released in 2014. 2014 also marked Anupam Roy's first Live Concert in Mumbai at the Sarvajanin Durgotsav hosted by Powai Bengali Welfare Organisation (PBWA).
As an independent artist, he and his band released his first English single Second Sex in May 2013. In 2015, he did his first Coke Studio (India) episode. He successfully recreated Moner Manush by Lalon Fakir with an additional Hindi verse written and composed by him.
In February 14, 2017.Anupam released his fourth studio album Ebar Morle Gachh Hawbo. The album consists of songs such as Amar Shohor, Oestrogen, Choitrer Kafon, Rock n Roll and Byatha Lage.
Roy's solo albums as a singer-songwriter.
|2012||Durbine Chokh Rakhbo Na||Bengali||Singer/writer/composer|
|2017||Ebar Morle Gachh Hawbo||Bengali||Singer/writer/composer|
Singles as singer-songwriter
|2018||Girl In A Bookstore||English||Singer/writer/composer|
As Lyricist-Music Director
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
Roy has worked as lyricist, music director & singer for the following films.
|2010||Autograph||Bengali||Amake Amar Mawto and Benche Thakar Gaan|
|2011||Chalo Paltai||Bengali||Full album|
|Rang Milanti||Bengali||Tai Shoi|
|Baishe Srabon||Bengali||Full album|
|Teen Yaari Katha||Bengali||Teen Yaari Katha (title song)|
|Hemlock Society||Bengali||Full album|
|Chorabali||Bengali||Chorabali title track (Bangladesh)|
|2013||Shunyo Anko||Bengali||2 songs|
|2014||Chaya Manush||Bengali||Full album|
|Window Connection||Bengali||Full album|
|2015||Bela Sheshe||Bengali||Obhabe Keno and Shesh Belay|
|Piku||Hindi||Full album + background score|
|Family Album||Bengali||Full album|
|Jomer Raja Dilo Bor||Bengali||Full album|
|2016||Praktan||Bengali||Kolkata and Tumi Jake Bhalobaso|
|Shaheb Bibi Golaam||Bengali||Full album|
|Pink||Hindi||Tujhse Hi Hai Roshni and Pink Title Track|
|2017||Black Coffee||Bengali||Full album + background score|
|Runningshaadi.com||Hindi||Main Faraar Sa|
|Posto||Bengali||Posto Title Track and Keno Erokom Kichhu Holona|
|Dear Maya||Hindi||Full album + background score|
|Arani Takhon||Bengali||Ekbar Phirte Dao|
|Maachher Jhol||Bengali||Full album|
|Projapoti Biskut||Bengali||Ahare Mon|
|Chawlochitro Circus||Bengali||Full album|
|Chol Kuntal||Bengali||Chol Kuntal|
|Ghare and Baire||Bengali||Tui Ki Kore Dili, Hridoyer Rong & Tara Khoshe Pore|
|October||Hindi||Tab Bhi Tu|
|Debi||Bengali||Du MuTho Bikel (Bangladesh)|
|2019||Shah Jahan Regency||Bengali||Ghure Takao & Rondhre Rondhre Paap|
|Badla||Hindi||Badla Title Track|
|Vinci Da||Bengali||Full album|
|Bhootchakra Pvt. Ltd.||Bengali||Unreleased|
|Padma Shri Subhasini Mistry||Bengali||Unreleased|
|Biplob Aaj O Kal||Bengali||Unreleased|
As Playback Artist
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
Roy worked only as a playback artist in the following films (for other lyricists & composers)
|2011||Jaani Dyakha Hawbe||Bengali||Indraadip Dasgupta & Neel Dutt|
|2012||Bedroom||Bengali||Rupam Islam & Allan Ao|
|2012||Bicycle Kick||Bengali||Joy Sarkar|
|2012||Om Shanti Om||Bengali||Neel Dutt|
|2012||Teen Kanya||Bengali||Indraadip Dasgupta|
|2012||Namte Namte||Bengali||Siddhartha Ray|
|2013||C/O Sir||Bengali||Raja Narayan Deb|
|2013||Mukti||Bengali||Raja Narayan Deb|
|2013||Mukti||Bengali||Raja Narayan Deb|
|2013||Half Serious||Bengali||Joy Sarkar|
|2013||Cross Connection 2||Bengali||Neel Dutt|
|2014||Janla Diye Bou Palalo||Bengali||Savvy|
|2015||Dwitiyo Ripu||Bengali||Abhijit Chowdhury|
|2015||Chotoder Chobi||Bengali||Indraadip Dasgupta|
|2015||Open Tee Bioscope||Bengali||Shantanu Moitra|
|2015||Amanush 2||Bengali||Arindom Chatterjee|
|2017||Mandobasar Galpo||Bengali||Ashok Bhadra|
|2017||Yeti Obhijaan||Bengali||Indraadip Dasgupta|
|2018||Sonar Pahar||Bengali||Neel Dutt|
|2018||Bagh Bandi Khela||Bengali||Jeet Gannguli|
|2019||Baccha Shoshur||Bengali||Maharshi Dutta|
- Warrior Prince (2011) – singer/lyricist/music director;
- Nariyal Paani (2009) – music director/singer/actor
- Bikele Bhorer Shorshe Phool (2011) – music director/lyricist/singer
- Jibon Gorar Gaan (2012) for George Telegraph S.C. - music, lyrics & vocals
- Ei Samay Theme Song (2012) for Ei Samay Sangbadpatra - music, lyrics & vocals
- Nestle Baby & Me (2015) for Nestle India - music
- Hero Come Home Safe (2016) for Hero MotoCorp- music & vocals
- Amader Balaram (2016) for Balaram Mullick & Radharaman Mullick - music, lyrics & vocals
- Release The Pressure (2017) for Mirinda India - music
- Nomoshkar Kolkata (2017) for Central (Future Group) - music, lyrics & vocals
- Maa (2017) for (JSW Cement) - music, lyrics & vocals
- Big Bazaar Pujo Song (2017) for Big Bazaar - music, lyrics & vocals
- Tumi Kothay - Pujo with Pantaloons (2018) for Pantaloons Fashion & Retail - music, lyrics & vocals
- Subhodrishti Title Track (2018) - music, lyrics & vocals
- Missing Stars of Pujo (2018) for Bharti Airtel - music, lyrics & vocals
The Anupam Roy Band
Roy's live performance is backed by The Anupam Roy Band:
- Current members
- Anupam Roy – Singer/Songwriter
- Rishabh Ray – Guitar
- Kaustav Biswas (Rono) – Bass
- Nabarun Bose – Keyboards/Backing vocals/Music Producer/Also worked with Roy in films as Background Musician
- Sandipan Parial – Drums
- Rana Singharoy – Manager
- Shomi Chatterjee – Sound Engineer
- Past members
- Sayan Banerjee – Guitar (Oct 2010 - March 2012)
- Subhodip Banerjee – Guitar (March 2012 - Oct 2014)
- Roheet Mukherjee – Bass (Feb 2011 - Oct 2014)
Roy's writings have been featured in various online & print magazines & newspapers. He has helped in the running of an online Bengali portal named Boipara(বইপাড়া) along with visual artist, Samit Roy. Anupam Roy maintains a blog, [Alternative Bangla Print]. Published in print, major little magazines
- The Bengali magazine, Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Amader Beche Thaka (আমাদের বেঁচে থাকা), in the open prose category of its August 2010 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Paati Lebu (পাতি লেবু), in the open prose category of its August 2011 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his poems in its February 2012, 2013 and 2014 issues.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Poster, in the prose category of its August 2012 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Kabar Sangee (কবর সঙ্গী), in the prose category of its August 2013 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Eriyali (এরিয়ালি), in the prose category of its August 2015 issue.
- "Sara Raat Kete Jaay Tor Kawtha Bhebe (সারা রাত কেটে যায় তোর কথা ভেবে)" – his first book of Bengali poems was published by Saptarshi Prakashani, in Kolkata Book Fair, 2012.
- "Chhowache Kolom (ছোঁয়াচে কলম)" – second book of Bengali poems, published by Ananda Publishers, Kolkata, 2013
- "Shomoyer Baire (সময়ের বাইরে)" – debut Bengali novel, published by Deys Publishing, Kolkata, 2014
- "Anupamkawtha (অনুপমকথা)" - a collection of 25 essays published in Ebela newspaper, published by Saptarshi Prakashani, in Kolkata Book Fair, 2015
- "Antony O Chandrabindoo (অ্যান্টনি ও চন্দ্রবিন্দু)" - graphic novel, published by Deep Prakashani, Kolkata, 2015 (Illustrations by Sambuddha Bishee)
- "Mon o Mejaj (মন ও মেজাজ)" – third book of Bengali poems, published by Karigor Publishers, Kolkata, 2016
- "Amader Benche Thaka (আমাদের বেঁচে থাকা)" - a collection of short stories, published by Kaurab Prakashani, in Kolkata Book Fair, 2018
- "Anupamkawtha O Onyanyo (অনুপমকথা ও অন্যান্য)" - a collection of essays, published by Karigar Prakashani, Kolkata, 2018
- Anupam was a regular columnist for Bengali newspaper Ebela (এবেলা) from September 2012 to October 2016
- He also writes articles for Pratidin (রোববার)
Roy is the creator of the Bengali graphic novel character Antony. He writes the story and the dialogues for it. Sambuddha Bishee is the illustrator. The first adventure of Antony started getting published in Bengali newspaper magazine Pratidin (রোববার) from July 2014 on a weekly basis.
Roy has written & directed two short films, Tiebreaker (2009) and Mind Radio (2010), both produced by TIIMMC. He is a gold medal recipient and is a holder of the Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from Jadavpur University.
Roy's career as an actor.
|2014||Amartya||Bengali||As Amartya||Short film|
Awards and recognitions
- Anandalok Special Jury Award for 'The Most Popular Singer, 2010'
- Heritage Samman For Legendary Personalities, (Best upcoming talent, 2010)
- Bangla Sangeet Award (Anandabazar Patrika) – Best new Lyricist (2010), Best new Song (2010) – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Big Bangla Movie Awards 2011 – Best Lyricist – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Zee Bangla Gourab Award 2011– Best Lyricist – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Bose Tele Cine Awards (Pulok Bandopadhyay Memorial Award) 2011 – Best Lyricist – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Star Jalsa Entertainment Award 2011– 'Agami Diner Star'
- STAR Ananda Shera Bangali Award 2011 – 'Notun Mukh (Best Newcomer)'
- Big Bangla Rising Star Award 2011 – 'Best Singer (Male)' & 'Role Model'
- Anandalok Awards for Best Song 2011 for 'Bariye Daao Tomar Haat (Chalo Paltai)'
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2012 – 6 awards, upcoming lyricist (Ekbar Bawl), best lyricist (jury & popular) for Bengali Films, best film album 'Baishey Sraabon' (jury and popular) and best song "Gobheere Jao"
- Bangla Sangeet Puroshkar 2012 (Anandabazar Patrika & Friends 91.9FM) – Best music director (Baishey Sraabon), Best song (Je Kota Din), Best film album (Baishey Sraabon)
- ABP Ananda Shera Bangali Award 2012 – Music Category
- 12th Tele Cine Awards 2012 – Best male playback for "Ekbar Bawl" (একবার বল) from Baishe Srabon
- Zee Bangla Gourab Award 2012 – Best Lyricist – Bariye Daao & Best Music Director – Baishe Srabon
- IBFA 2012 – Best Singer – "Ekbar Bawl"
- IBFCA 2012 – Best lyricist, music director & singer – all for Baishe Srabon
- Anandalok Best Song Award 2012 for "Ekhon Anek Raat" from Hemlock Society
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2013 – Best song 'Ekhon Anek Raat' & best album Hemlock Society
- 13th Tele Cine Awards (Pulok Bandopadhyay Memorial Award) 2013 – Best lyricist – 'Ekhon Anek Raat'
- ETV Bangla Sangeet Samman 2013 – Best Male Playback – 'Ekhon Anek Raat'
- BFJA 2013 – Best Male Playback – 'Ekhon Anek Raat'
- Ebela – Ami Amar Moto (আমি আমার মত) Samman 2013
- Zee Bangla Gourab Award 2013–14 – Best Lyricist – Ekhon Anek Raat & Best Playback Singer – Ekhon Anek Raat
- 61st Filmfare Award for Best Background Score 2016 - Piku
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2015 - Best Song 'Bondhu Chol' & Royal Stag Make it Large Award
- WBFJA Award 2016 - Best Music Director - Praktan & Best Lyricist - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- Filmfare Award East 2017 - Best Music Album - Praktan & Best Lyricist - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2016 – Best Song (Critics Choice) - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho, Best Album (Critics Choice) - Shaheb Bibi Golaam, Best Lyrics - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho & Best Music Composer - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- 64th National Film Awards 2016 - Best Lyrics - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- 16th Tele Cine Awards 2017 – Best Lyrics & Best Music Director for Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- SRL Award 2018 - "Composer of the Decade"
- Filmfare Award East 2018 - Best Music Album - Projapoti Biskut
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2017 – Best Lyrics - Keno Erokom Kichhu Holona, Best Album (Listeners' Choice) - Maacher Jhol & Best Album (Critics Choice) - Projapoti Biskut
- 17th Tele Cine Awards 2018 – Best Lyrics for Dawttok
- WBFJA Award 2019 - Best Music Director - Drishtikone & Best Playback Singer Male - Amar Dukkhogulo
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2018 – Best Song (Listeners' Choice) - Hridoyer Rong & Best Album (Listeners' Choice) - Ghare and Baire
- "Nominations for the 61st Britannia Filmfare Awards". filmfare.com. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Full list of winners of the 61st Britannia Filmfare Awards". filmfare.com. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "64th National Film Awards, 2016" (PDF) (Press release). Directorate of Film Festivals. 7 April 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Songs of life". The Telegraph. 1 April 2012.
- "Anupam's break in Bollywood". TOI. Calcutta,India.
- "I had written the song in college". Mumbai Mirror. 8 April 2015.
- "Singer Anupam Roy weds Piya Chakraborty". www.radioandmusic.com. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Bhalobashar durbine chokh rekhechhi roj". zeenews. 14 February 2012.
- "Anupam again". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India. 14 February 2013.
- "Decoded: Anupam Roy's 'disturbing' new album Bakyobageesh on the good and bad in society". The Telegraph. 9 August 2014.
- Das, Mohua (8 May 2013). "Anupam Roy's first English song gets a video". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India.
- "Anupam Roy brings the magic of Bengali folk song to Coke Studio". Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Autograph please". The Telegraph. 14 February 2014.
- "Anupam Roy to compose music for 'Pari' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Anupam Roy on composing for Anushka Sharma's Pari - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Anupam Roy to score music for Dev's next". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "Docu feature on Dada by Anupam Roy". TOI. 15 January 2011.
- "The Anupam Roy Band - TARB". www.anupamroymusic.com. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Writings of Anupam Roy". Anupam Roy Official Website. 21 December 2017.
- "Music men". The Telegraph. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Antony". Robbar.
- "Anupam Roy turns actor for Ritu, Prosenjit film - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Sreemita Bhattacharya (6 November 2011). "Celebs at Big Bangla Rising Star Awards – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "Filmfare Award East 2017 Winners - List of Bengali Filmfare Award Winners | Filmfare.com". filmfare.com. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Filmfare Award East 2018 Winners - List of Bengali Filmfare Award Winners | Filmfare.com". filmfare.com. Retrieved 12 March 2018.