|Birth name||Anupam Roy|
29 March 1982 |
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, Composer, Musician, Poet, Writer, Playback Singer|
Anupam Roy (Bengali: অনুপম রায়; born 29 March 1982) is an Indian lyricist, music composer and singer from Kolkata, West Bengal. He is best known for his song Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মতো থাকতে দাও), which appeared on the soundtrack to the 2010 film Autograph. In 2015, he made his Bollywood debut, composing the songs and score for Piku. He was nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Director, and won the Filmfare Award for Best Background Score. In 2016, he composed two songs for the Hindi film Pink. He is a recipient of 64th National Film Award for Best Lyrics for the song Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho.
Roy has been writing songs from his childhood days. His biggest break was having two of his songs featured in the Bengali film, Autograph (2010) by Srijit Mukherji. Roy wrote and composed Bneche Thakaar Gaan (বেঁচে থাকার গান), sung by Rupam Islam & also by himself in another version and Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মতো থাকতে দাও), which he sang himself. Roy subsequently debuted as music director for the Bengali movie "Chalo Paltai" (2011). In the same year movies like Baishe Srabon, Rang Milanti released where he continued his work as a music director, lyricist and vocalist. In 2012, Hemlock Society released where he worked as a music director/lyricist/vocalist. Songs like "Ekhon Anek Raat" & "Amar Mawte" catapulted his success to another level. 2014, marked the release of 4 films where he worked as a music director. Songs from Highway and Chotushkone did remarkably well on music charts. "Boba Tunnel" and "Bawshonto Eshe Gechhe" were super hit numbers.
Apart from film music, Roy has three solo albums. He released "Durbine Chokh Rakhbona"(দুরবিনে চোখ রাখবো না) , his debut album in 2012 which contains tracks like "Bijli Baati", "Tistaan" and also the original version of "Beche Thakar Gaan". He followed it up with "Dwitiyo Purush"(দ্বিতীয় পুরুষ) in 2013 with a music video of "Adbhut Mugdhota". His third album "Bakyobageesh" was released in 2014.
As an independent artist, he and his band released his first English single "Second Sex" in May 2013. In 2015, he did his first Coke Studio (India) episode. He successfully recreated Moner Manush by Lalon Fakir with an additional Hindi verse written and composed by him.
Roy's solo albums as a singer-songwriter.
|2012||Durbine Chokh Rakhbo Na||Bengali||Singer/writer/composer|
|2017||Ebar Morle Gachh Hawbo||Bengali||Singer/writer/composer|
Roy has worked as lyricist, music director & singer for the following films.
|2010||Autograph||Bengali||Amake Amar Mawto and Benche Thakar Gaan|
|2011||Rang Milanti||Bengali||Tai Shoi|
|2012||Teen Yaari Katha||Bengali||Teen Yaari Katha (title song)|
|2012||Chorabali||Bengali||Chorabali title track (Bangladesh)|
|2015||Bela Sheshe||Bengali||Obhabe Keno and Shesh Belay|
|2015||Piku||Hindi||Songs + background score|
|2015||Jomer Raja Dilo Bor||Bengali|
|2016||Praktan||Bengali||Kolkata and Tumi Jake Bhalobaso|
|2016||Shaheb Bibi Golaam||Bengali|
|2016||Pink||Hindi||Tujhse Hi Hai Roshni and Pink Title Track|
|2017||Black Coffee||Bengali||Songs + background score|
|2017||Runningshaadi.com||Hindi||Main Faraar Sa|
Roy worked only as a playback artist in the following films (for other lyricists & composers)
- Jaani Dekha Hobe (2011) – music director Indraadip Dasgupta/Neel Dutt
- Bedroom (2012) – music director Rupam/Allan
- Bicycle Kick (2012) – music director Joy Sarkar
- Om Shanti Om (2012) – music director Neel Dutt
- Untitled (2012) – music director Neel Dutt
- C/O Sir (2013) – music director Raja Narayan Deb
- Mukti (2013) – music director Raja Narayan Deb
- Teen Kanya (2012) – music director Indraadip Dasgupta
- Namte Namte (2012) – music director Siddhartha Ray
- Half Serious (2013) – Joy Sarkar
- Nayika Sangbad (2013) – Gaboo
- Strugglers (2013) – Silajit
- Kolkatar King (2013) – Tuki
- Unnamed (2013) – Gaboo
- Amar Ami (2013) – Kabir/Shiba
- Cross Connection 2(2013) – Neel Dutt
- Promotion (2013) – Snehasish
- Janla Diye Bou Palalo (2014) – music director Savvy
- Bhitu (2015) – Ayan Chowdhury
- Dwitiyo Ripu (2015) - music director Abhijit Chowdhury
- Chotoder Chobi (2015)-music director Indraadip Dasgupta
- Open Tee Bioscope (2015)- music director Shantanu Moitra
- Amanush 2 (2015) - music director Arindom Chatterjee
- Teenanko (2016) - music director Arko Mukherjee
- Fan (2016) - music director Vishal–Shekhar
- Biabaho Diaries (2016)- music director Savvy
- MandoBasar Galpo (2017) - music director Ashok Bhadra
- Warrior Prince (2011) – singer/lyricist/music director;
- Nariyal Paani (2009) – music director/singer/actor
- Bikele Bhorer Shorshe Phool (2011) – music director/lyricist/singer
- Jibon Gorar Gaan (2012) for George Telegraph S.C. - music, lyrics & vocals
- Ei Samay Theme Song (2012) for Ei Samay Sangbadpatra - music, lyrics & vocals
- Hero Come Home Safe (2016) for Hero MotoCorp- music & vocals
- Release The Pressure (2017) for Mirinda India - music
The Anupam Roy Band
Roy's live performance is backed by The Anupam Roy Band :
- Current members
- Anupam Roy – Singer/Songwriter
- Rishabh Ray – Guitar
- Kaustav Biswas (Rono) – Bass
- Nabarun Bose – Keyboards/Backing vocals
- Sandipan Parial – Drums
- Rana Singharoy – Manager
- Shomi Chatterjee – Sound Engineer
- Arindam Sen – Live Visuals
- Past members
- Sayan Banerjee – Guitar (Oct 2010 - March 2012)
- Subhodip Banerjee – Guitar (March 2012 - Oct 2014)
- Roheet Mukherjee – Bass (Feb 2011 - Oct 2014)
Roy's writings have been featured in various online & print magazines & newspapers. He has helped in the running of an online Bengali portal named Boipara(বইপাড়া) along with visual artist, Samit Roy. Anupam Roy maintains a blog, [Alternative Bangla Print]. Published in print, major little magazines
- The Bengali magazine, Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Amader Beche Thaka (আমাদের বেঁচে থাকা), in the open prose category of its August 2010 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Paati Lebu (পাতি লেবু), in the open prose category of its August 2011 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his poems in its February 2012, 2013 and 2014 issues.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Poster, in the prose category of its August 2012 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Kabar Sangee (কবর সঙ্গী), in the prose category of its August 2013 issue.
- Kaurab(কৌরব) published his work, Eriyali (এরিয়ালি), in the prose category of its August 2015 issue.
- "Sara Raat Kete Jaay Tor Kawtha Bhebe (সারা রাত কেটে যায় তোর কথা ভেবে)" – his first book of Bengali poems was published by Saptarshi Prakashani, in Kolkata Book Fair, 2012.
- "Chhowache Kolom (ছোঁয়াচে কলম)" – second book of Bengali poems, published by Ananda Publishers, Kolkata, 2013
- "Shomoyer Baire (সময়ের বাইরে)" – debut Bengali novel, published by Deys Publishing, Kolkata, 2014
- "Anupamkawtha (অনুপমকথা)" - a collection of 25 essays published in Ebela newspaper, published by Saptarshi Prakashani, in Kolkata Book Fair, 2015
- "Antony O Chandrabindoo (অ্যান্টনি ও চন্দ্রবিন্দু)" - graphic novel, published by Deep Prakashani, Kolkata, 2015 (Illustrations by Sambuddha Bishee)
- "Mon o Mejaj (মন ও মেজাজ)" – third book of Bengali poems, published by Karigor Publishers, Kolkata, 2016
- Anupam was a regular columnist for Bengali newspaper Ebela (এবেলা) from September 2012 to October 2016
- He also writes articles for Pratidin (রোববার)
Roy is the creator of the Bengali graphic novel character Antony. He writes the story and the dialogues for it. Sambuddha Bishee is the illustrator. The first adventure of Antony started getting published in Bengali newspaper magazine Pratidin (রোববার) from July 2014 on a weekly basis.
Roy has written & directed two short films, Tiebreaker (2009) and Mind Radio (2010), both produced by TIIMMC. He is a gold medal recipient and is a holder of the Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from Jadavpur University.
Roy's career as an actor.
|2014||Amartya||Bengali||As Amartya||short film|
Awards and recognitions
- Anandalok Special Jury Award for 'The Most Popular Singer, 2010'
- Heritage Samman For Legendary Personalities, (Best upcoming talent, 2010)
- Bangla Sangeet Award (Anandabazar Patrika) – Best new Lyricist (2010), Best new Song (2010) – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Big Bangla Movie Awards 2011 – Best Lyricist – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Zee Bangla Gourab Award 2011– Best Lyricist – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Bose Tele Cine Awards (Pulok Bandopadhyay Memorial Award) 2011 – Best Lyricist – Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মত থাকতে দাও)
- Star Jalsa Entertainment Award 2011– 'Agami Diner Star'
- STAR Ananda Shera Bangali Award 2011 – 'Notun Mukh (Best Newcomer)'
- Big Bangla Rising Star Award 2011 – 'Best Singer (Male)' & 'Role Model' 
- Anandalok Awards for Best Song 2011 for 'Bariye Daao Tomar Haat (Chalo Paltai)'
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2012 – 6 awards, upcoming lyricist (Ekbar Bawl), best lyricist (jury & popular) for Bengali Films, best film album 'Baishey Sraabon' (jury and popular) and best song "Gobheere Jao"
- Bangla Sangeet Puroshkar 2012 (Anandabazar Patrika & Friends 91.9FM) – Best music director (Baishey Sraabon), Best song (Je Kota Din), Best film album (Baishey Sraabon)
- ABP Ananda Shera Bangali Award 2012 – Music Category
- 12th Tele Cine Awards 2012 – Best male playback for "Ekbar Bawl" (একবার বল) from Baishe Srabon
- Zee Bangla Gourab Award 2012 – Best Lyricist – Bariye Daao & Best Music Director – Baishe Srabon
- IBFA 2012 – Best Singer – "Ekbar Bawl"
- IBFCA 2012 – Best lyricist, music director & singer – all for Baishe Srabon
- Anandalok Best Song Award 2012 for "Ekhon Anek Raat" from Hemlock Society
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2013 – Best song 'Ekhon Anek Raat' & best album Hemlock Society
- 13th Tele Cine Awards (Pulok Bandopadhyay Memorial Award) 2013 – Best lyricist – 'Ekhon Anek Raat'
- ETV Bangla Sangeet Samman 2013 – Best Male Playback – 'Ekhon Anek Raat'
- BFJA 2013 – Best Male Playback – 'Ekhon Anek Raat'
- Ebela – Ami Amar Moto (আমি আমার মত) Samman 2013
- Zee Bangla Gourab Award 2013–14 – Best Lyricist – Ekhon Anek Raat & Best Playback Singer – Ekhon Anek Raat
- Filmfare Award for Best Background Score 2016 - Piku (film)
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2015 - Best Song 'Bondhu Chol' & Royal Stag Make it Large Award
- WBFJA Award 2016 - Best Music Director - Praktan & Best Lyricist - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- Filmfare Award East 2017 - Best Music Album - Praktan & Best Lyricist - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- Mirchi Music Awards Bangla 2016 – Best Song (Critics Choice) - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho, Best Album (Critics Choice) - Shaheb Bibi Golaam, Best Lyrics - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho & Best Music Composer - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- 64th National Film Awards 2016 - Best Lyrics - Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho
- "64th National Film Awards, 2016" (PDF) (Press release). Directorate of Film Festivals. 7 April 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Songs of life". The Telegraph. 1 April 2012.
- "Anupam's break in Bollywood". TOI. Calcutta,India.
- "I had written the song in college". Mumbai Mirror. 8 April 2015.
- "Bhalobashar durbine chokh rekhechhi roj". zeenews. 14 February 2012.
- "Anupam again". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India. 14 February 2013.
- "Decoded: Anupam Roy's 'disturbing' new album "Bakyobageesh" on the good and bad in society". The Telegraph. 9 August 2014.
- Das, Mohua (8 May 2013). "Anupam Roy's first English song gets a video". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India.
- indiatodday.in. New Delhi, India http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/moner-manush-anupam-roy-brings-the-magic-of-bengali-folk-song-to-coke-studio/1/492738.html. Missing or empty
- "Autograph please". The Telegraph. 14 February 2014.
- "Docu feature on Dada by Anupam Roy". TOI. 15 January 2011.
- "Antony". Robbar.
- Sreemita Bhattacharya (6 November 2011). "Celebs at Big Bangla Rising Star Awards – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- Deblina Chakravorty (5 November 2011). "A musical event in Kolkata – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "The big break". Thestatesman.net. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 December 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-18.
- Official Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/anupamroyofficial
- Official Twitter Handle: https://twitter.com/aroyfloyd
- Official YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/aroyfloyd