|Initial release||October 10, 1998|
2018.01.01 / January 1, 2018
|Written in||C++|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Digital Audio Workstation|
Anvil Studio consists of a free core program with optional add-ons. The free version is a fully functional MIDI editor/sequencer which loads and saves standard MIDI-formatted files, and allows individual tracks to be edited with a:
- Staff editor,
- Piano Roll editor,
- Percussion editor,
- TAB editor, or
- MIDI event list editor.
The program uses the standard MIDI Sequencer-Specific event (FF 7F) to control items not specifically defined by the MIDI standard, such as:
- the font to use when rendering lyrics,
- the position of notes or staff notation,
- links to Pulse-code modulation formatted audio files for audio tracks.
By default, Anvil Studio uses a General MIDI software synthesizer for playback, but also allows tracks to be assigned to VST instrument  or external MIDI devices. It processes audio using Core Audio, ASIO, DirectX or WDM or enabled drivers.
Anvil Studio's use in Education
Anvil Studio is used in University research, is included in the curriculum for college classes in music creation and video game design., and is recommended by the book 'The Game Makers Apprentice' for use in the creation of video games.
Anvil Studio is recommended by librarians for displaying sheet music for widely available free classical music files. It is used in library-hosted computer clubs for promoting 21st century literacy skills.
- "Anvil Studio History".
- "Anvil Studio User's Guide" (PDF). Willow Software.
- Herholz, Sibylle C.; Halpern, Andrea R. (2012). "Neuronal Correlates of Perception, Imagery, and Memory for Familiar Tunes". Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. 24 (6): 1382–1397. doi:10.1162/jocn_a_00216. PMID 22360595.
- Meier, Scott Alan (22 October 2007). "The Effect Of Lecture Support Media On Software Skills Learning".
- Stevens, Aaron (1 March 2013). "Computer Generated Music" (PDF).
- Smith, James T. "The Use of Symmetry by Western Composers" (PDF).
- "Multimedia Signal Processing Design Project on Digital Audio Processing" (PDF).
- "Maranatha Baptist University Computer Programs".
- "Music Technology".
- "Architecture at Hartford" (PDF).
- "Intro to Video Game Design".
- Myers, Brian. "Computer Gaming Academy II - Intro to Video Game Design". Northwestern University Center for Talent Development.
- "National Science and Engineering Week 2012". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- Habgood, Jacob; Overmars, Mark (February 1, 2015). "Chapter 15: Music: Anvil Studio". The Game Makers Apprentice. Apress. pp. 292–293. ISBN 978-1-590-59615-9.
- Mattison, David, (2006). "Music to Soothe the Savage Searcher. Classical Music Databases and Web Resources". Searcher. 14 (7).
- Myers, B. (2009). "Imagine, invent, program, share: A library-hosted computer club promotes 21st-century literacy skills". Computers in Libraries. 29 (3): 6.
- "The Role of Free and Open Source Software in Digital Literacy Education".
- "Minds at Play - Teens gain 21st-century literacy skills designing their own computer games" (PDF).
- "Recorder Classroom Magazine". Recorder Classroom Magazine.
- "U.K Choral Society - Learning Notes".