Anwar Hossain (photographer)
|Born||1948 (age 68–69)
Dhaka, East Pakistan, Dominion of Pakistan
|Alma mater||Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology|
Hossain was born in Old Dhaka in 1948. He earned his Secondary School Certificate (SSC) from Armanitola Government High School in 1965. Two years later he graduated from Notre Dame College, Dhaka. He graduated in architecture from BUET and received higher degree in film from Pune University.
He has written a number of books on photography. His photography captured the Liberation War of Bangladesh. Hossain has won more than 60 international awards in photography. He was the cinematographer of the film Shyamol Chhaya directed by Humayun Ahmed. Hossain has also filmed 15 fictions and 30 documentary films.
- Surja Dighal Bari (La Maison Tragique), 1979
- Emiler Goenda Bahini, 1980
- Bostrobalikara: Garment Girls of Bangladesh (TV documentary)
- Nadir Naam Madhumati (A River Named Madhumati), 1994
- Chitra Nodir Pare (Quiet Flows the River Chitra), 1999
- Lalsalu, 2002
- Shyamol Chhaya (as Anwar Husain), 2004
- Three Beauties, (producer), 2006
- Swapnabhumi: The Promised Land, 2007
Awards and honors
- Sole Jury, Commonwealth photo contest, Cyprus, 1980
- Principal National Jury, Bangladesh, 2008–2011
- "ULAB hosts Anwar Hossain Photo Exhibit: 'Tutail 1971-2012'". University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh.
- "Anwar Hossain's photography exhibition begins today". The Daily Star. 20 August 2010.
- Halim, Anwar Parvez (16 December 2015). "My dream of an archive remains a dream". Probe Weekly (Interview).
- Imran, Nadee Naboneeta (5 April 2012). "The prolific eye- Anwar Hossain". New Age. Dhaka. Archived from the original on 11 April 2013.
- "Anwar Hossain Photo Exhibit begins Sunday". banglanews24.com. 17 March 2012. Archived from the original on 7 April 2013.