Any Love (album)
|Studio album by Luther Vandross|
|Released||September 20, 1988|
(Hollywood, Los Angeles, California)
Right Track Recording
(New York City, New York)
|Genre||R&B, soul, pop|
|Producer||Luther Vandross, Marcus Miller|
|Luther Vandross chronology|
|Los Angeles Times|||
Any Love is the sixth studio album by American R&B/soul singer Luther Vandross, released in 1988 (see 1988 in music). It reached the top position on the R&B Album charts that year for two weeks. At the 1989 Grammy Awards, the album was nominated for "Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male" and its title track was nominated for "Best R&B Song". Also, "She Won't Talk to Me" received a nomination for "Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male" in 1990. The album was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The album also features a cover of Major Harris' hit single "Love Won't Let Me Wait".
Smooth jazz guitarist Norman Brown also covered the song on the After the Storm album in 1994.
Also, the song "The Second Time Around" is a re-recording of a song featured on Vandross's band Luther's 1976 album of the same name.
|1.||"I Wonder"||Luther Vandross, Nat Adderley, Jr.||5:12|
|2.||"She Won't Talk to Me"||Vandross, Hubert Eaves III||4:37|
|3.||"I Know You Want To"||Vandross, David Gamson, Porter Carroll, Jr.||4:30|
|4.||"Come Back"||Vandross, Gamson||4:16|
|5.||"Any Love"||Vandross, Marcus Miller||5:05|
|6.||"Love Won't Let Me Wait"||Vinnie Barrett, Bobby Eli||7:19|
|7.||"Are You Gonna Love Me"||Vandross, Miller||5:10|
|8.||"For You to Love"||Vandross, Miller||5:39|
|9.||"The Second Time Around"||Vandross||6:21|
- Luther Vandross - vocals
- Paul Jackson Jr., Doc Powell - guitar
- Marcus Miller - bass, keyboards, synthesizer
- Nat Adderley Jr. - keyboards, synthesizer
- David Gamson - synthesizer
- Buddy Williams - drums
- Paulinho da Costa - percussion
- Jason Miles - programming
- Kirk Whalum - saxophone on "Love Won't Let Me Wait"
- George Young - saxophone on "The Second Time Around"
- Amy Knoles - timpani on "Love Won't Let Me Wait"
- Alan Rubin, Dave Tofani, Harold Jones, Homer Mensch, Jerome Ashby, Jon Faddis, Peter Gordon, Randy Brecker - horns
- Darryl Tookes, David Lasley, James Ingram, Kevin Owens, Lisa Fischer, Mark Stevens, Paulette McWilliams, Michael Lovesmith, Brenda White King, Cissy Houston, Fonzi Thornton, Tawatha Agee - backing vocals
- Ray Bardani - engineer, mixing
- Matthew Rolston - photography
|New Zealand Albums Chart||35|
|UK Albums Chart||3|
|U.S. Billboard 200||9|
|U.S. Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||1|
|US Billboard 200||52|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Allmusic review
- Chicago Tribune review
- Los Angeles Times review
- Robert Christgau Consumer Guide
- Rolling Stone review
- "Head Over Heels overview". Allmusic.com.
- "British album certifications – Luther Vandross – Any Love". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Any Love in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Luther Vandross – Any Love". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
|This 1980s R&B/soul album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|