|Single by George Harrison|
|from the album Brainwashed|
|Released||12 May 2003|
|Label||Parlophone, Dark Horse|
|George Harrison singles chronology|
"Any Road" is a song by George Harrison and is the opening track to his posthumous album Brainwashed. Harrison began writing the song in 1988, during the making of a video for his 1987 album Cloud Nine. It is the last released record of new material credited to George Harrison.
Harrison's only known public performance of "Any Road" was a solo acoustic rendition in 1997, during an interview with Ravi Shankar conducted by VH1. It was Harrison's last television appearance before his death.
The refrain "If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there" was essentially a paraphrase of an exchange between Alice and the Cheshire Cat in Chapter 6 of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:
- "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
- "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
- "I don't much care where—" said Alice.
- "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
- "—so long as I get SOMEWHERE," Alice added as an explanation.
- "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
"Any Road" was nominated at the 2004 Grammy Awards for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, and was also featured on the 2004 Grammy Nominees compilation album. Although the song lost the award to Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River", Harrison's "Marwa Blues" (the instrumental B-side to "Any Road") won in the category of Best Pop Instrumental Performance.
- George Harrison – lead vocal, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, banjolele
- Jeff Lynne – bass guitar, piano, backing vocals
- Dhani Harrison – electric guitar, backing vocals
- Jim Keltner – drums
Both "Any Road" and "Marwa Blues" were included in Harrison's 2009 career-spanning compilation, Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison.
- John Kadlecik plays "Any Road" with Furthur as well as his own John Kadlecik Band.
- American ukulele player and singer, Ukulele Ray, covered this song on his Coming to Nothing album in 2010.
- Joe Brown performed "Any Road" on his live Ukulele Album in 2012.
- Butch Walker, American musician, former lead guitarist of metal band SouthGang performed "Any Road" during George Fest concert in 2014.
- 7" R6601, CD CDRS6601
- "Any Road" – 3:49
- "Marwa Blues" – 3:40
- "Any Road" (video) – CD only
- George Harrison – Any Road at Graham Calkin's Beatles Pages.