Anya Schiffrin (born December 6, 1962) is the director of the International Media, Advocacy and Communications (IMAC) specialization at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), and an adjunct professor at the School of International and Public Affairs.
Schiffrin is an American former business journalist. Previously, Schiffrin was editor-in-chief of the Istanbul-based daily newspaper The Turkish Times, a stringer for Reuters in Barcelona, senior financial writer at The Industry Standard in New York, bureau chief for Dow Jones Newswires in Amsterdam and Hanoi, and a writer for many other publications. She was a former Knight-Bagehot academic fellow in business journalism at Columbia's Graduate School of Journalism. Schiffrin is an alumna of Reed College.
As well as her role in the School of International and Public Affairs, Schiffrin is also the director of journalism training programs at the Initiative for Policy Dialogue, an international network of economists based at Columbia, and founder of JournalismTraining.net. She is also on the Advisory Board of the Center for Media, Data and Society at Central European University, the Open Society Foundation’s Program on Independent Journalism and the Revenue Watch Institute.
She writes on journalism and development as well as the media in Africa and the extractive sector, amongst other topics. Her most recent book is Global Muckraking: 100 Years of Investigative Reporting from Around the World (New Press 2014).
She is the daughter of the author and publisher André Schiffrin, and the sister in law of the lawyer Philippe Sands. She was married on October 29, 2004, to Nobel Prize-winning economist and author Joseph E. Stiglitz, who teaches at Columbia University in New York City.
- Covering Oil: A Reporter's Guide to Energy and Development (2005) Co-editor with Svetlana Tsalik ISBN 978-1-891385-45-2
- Covering Labor: A Reporter's Guide to Worker's Rights in a Global Economy (2006).
- Business and Economic Reporting: Covering Companies, Financial Markets and the Broader Economy (co-author)
- Global Muckraking: 100 Years of Investigative Journalism from Around the World (2014) Editor ISBN 978-1-595589-73-6
- "Anya Schiffrin, Joseph Stiglitz". New York Times. October 31, 2004.
- "Anya Schiffrin | Columbia | SIPA". sipa.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Davos and the gender quota". The Guardian. January 25, 2011.
- ""Davos Wife" Misses the Most Important Point About Gender Equity". Ms. Magazine. January 28, 2011.
- Gillian Tett (February 4, 2011). "The trouble with men". Financial Times.