Anything Other Than Naked
Hardbook Edition cover
|Author||Glen R. Sondag|
|Published||February 14, 2011, Landgon Street Press|
|Media type||Print (paperback)
|Pages||100 pp (first edition, paperback)|
Anything Other Than Naked - a guide for men on how to dress properly for every occasion, is a men's fashion self-help book published in January 2011 by Langdon Street Press. Written by business professional and former U.S. Air Force Captain Glen R. Sondag, the book was originally intended as a guide for Sondag's four sons. It instead turned into an illustrated guide on fashion basics, such as dressing for body type, choosing suits and accessories, fabrics, rules of office fashion, and clothing brand selection. As of March 2011 it is available in paperback and as an eBook.
Sondag claims he first developed his fashion sense and love of clothes from his mother, a skilled seamstress who made all her own clothes, and many of his. At a young age she taught him about fabrics, tailoring, fit, clothing construction, and dressing appropriately. Sondag, who graduated with a B.A. from the University of St. Thomas, worked at a men's clothing retailer while attending graduate school. While there he spent most of his earnings on clothing. Following service as a Captain in the U.S. Air Force, Sondag joined Merrill Lynch as a financial advisor in 1972, and formed The Sondag Group in Northbrook, Illinois with his son Michael in 1997. Sondag, who has been married to the same woman since 1969, claims he originally began writing Anything Other Than Naked as a "do's and don'ts" dressing guide for his four sons.
The book contains illustrated chapters on clothing tips for men, such as selecting and wearing each clothing item, matching suits, coats, shirts, and ties, choosing accessories, laundering, grooming, flattering your individual body type, and basic rules of office fashion (shoes should be darker than the suit, etc.). The book also covers what fashions are appropriate for different situations. Sondag, who is unsponsored by any clothing institutions, recommends a number of clothing brands, clothing stores, and catalogs that sell high-quality clothing at different price ranges.
Sondag acknowledges in the book that men often get little fashion guidance from each other, distrust fashion articles for men, ignore girlfriends' tips, and are often confused by terms such as "business casual." He has stated that "men rely on their instincts or whatever feels comfortable to them, often with disastrous results."
The book was first made available in an eBook format on January 25, 2011 by book retailer Barnes & Noble. A paperback version was published by Langdon Street Press (English only) on February 14, 2011. The paperback is available on Amazon.com, where it is also sold in eBook form for the Kindle.
On January 18, 2011 Sondag was interviewed by Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino of Best Ever You on the book in a special one-hour show. He is also a regular fashion columnist for Best Ever You, a fashion and well-being blog. The book was reviewed in Crain's Chicago Business on March 14, 2011.
- "Book Information: Anything Other Than Naked". Langdon Street Press. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- K, Shia (March 14, 2011). "Financial adviser Glen Sondag publishes his best tips--on men's fashion". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "How Men Should Dress for Every Occasion". Caradidi Blog. March 8, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Anything Other Than Naked". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Anything Other Than Naked: NOOKbook". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "About Glen R. Sondag". Anything Other Than Naked. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Style: How Men Should Dress For Every Occasion". Hampton News. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Glen R. Sondag"s "Anything Other Than Naked" is the new guide to men"s workplace fashion". World Book and News. February 20, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-14.[permanent dead link]
- "Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor". The Sondag Group. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Glen R. Sondag's "Anything Other Than Naked" is the new guide to men's workplace fashion.". Free Press Release. February 18, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Columnists: Meet Glen Sondag". Best Ever You Magazine. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Anything Other Than Naked". BetterWorldBooks. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Anything Other Than Naked". eBookStore. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- Hamilton-Guarino, Elizabeth (January 18, 2011). "Anything Other Than Naked! - Meet Glen Sondag". Best Every You. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- Best Ever You: hour interview with Glen Sondag on Anything Other Than Naked! (January 18, 2011)