Anywhere but Home
|Anywhere but Home|
|Live album by Evanescence|
|Released||November 23, 2004|
|Recorded||May 25, 2004 – Le Zénith, Paris|
|Producer||James O'Brien, Amy Lee, Dave Fortman (track 14)|
Anywhere but Home is the first live album and DVD by the rock band Evanescence, released in 2004. It includes all four of their Fallen music videos, an hour of behind the scenes features, and a recording of a concert at Le Zénith in Paris. It also includes a previously unreleased song on the CD, titled "Missing" (which also plays during the DVD credits); while placed at the end of the disc, the CD insert shows it as track eight however it is actually track 14 and incorrectly labeled "Whisper".
Anywhere but Home was filmed during Evanescence's concert at Le Zénith in Paris on May 25, 2004. The tour supported the album Fallen (2003) and every song from that album except "Hello" was performed at that show. However, three new songs were released on Anywhere but Home including "Missing", "Breathe No More" (which was featured on the Elektra (2005) film soundtrack) and "Farther Away".
In December 2004, Trevin and Melanie Skeens of Maryland, who had bought the album for their thirteen-year-old daughter, filed a class action lawsuit against Wal-Mart after hearing the word 'fuck' spoken during the song "Thoughtless", a cover of a Korn song. The lawsuit claimed that while the album contained this explicit word, there was no Parental Advisory sticker on the package. It also claimed that this album violated Wal-Mart's policy of not stocking music with explicit lyrics, and that the company had to be aware of the problem because the word was dubbed out of a free sample on the Walmart.com website. The lawsuit was resolved by court order of a deal which would allow those people who bought the album at a Maryland Wal-Mart location to receive a refund. Some copies have the Parental Advisory notice, yet other copies are still sold without it now.
A secret performance of "Bring Me to Life" in Las Vegas, Nevada can be found on the DVD's main menu by moving the cursor to the largest thorn on the left-hand side of the screen. The band symbol then becomes visible. When selected, this will take the user to the hidden footage.
Johny Loftus of the website Allmusic graded the album with three and a half out of five stars. He said that the album "reasserts Amy Lee's position at Evanescence's center. Throughout the band's rise, there was the drama... but there was always the singular force of Lee, whose powerful vocals, strident public persona, and striking fashion sense broke down the doors of the alternative metal boys club." He finished his review by saying, "Appropriately, Lee is the star of Anywhere but Home. Her voice has an impressively raw quality live, and her banter with the fawning Parisian crowd is always engaging." Geoff Barton of the magazine Classic Rock graded Anywhere but Home with four out of five stars.
On the Billboard 200, the album debuted at number thirty-nine on December 11, 2004, selling 59,000 copies in its first week. On the Spanish DVD Chart, Anywhere but Home debuted at number one for the week ending November 28, 2004. It later became the best-selling music-related DVD of 2004 in Spain.
|1.||"Haunted"||Amy Lee, Ben Moody, David Hodges||4:04|
|2.||"Going Under"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||3:57|
|3.||"Taking Over Me"||Lee, Moody, Hodges, John LeCompt||3:57|
|4.||"Everybody's Fool"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||3:40|
|5.||"Thoughtless" (Korn cover)||Shaffer, Davis, Welch, Arvizu, Silveria||4:37|
|6.||"My Last Breath"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||3:53|
|7.||"Farther Away"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||5:02|
|8.||"Breathe No More"||Lee||3:33|
|9.||"My Immortal"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||4:38|
|10.||"Bring Me to Life"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||4:43|
|11.||"Tourniquet"||Lee, Moody, Hodges, Rocky Gray||4:17|
|12.||"Imaginary"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||5:25|
|13.||"Whisper"||Lee, Moody, Hodges||5:45|
|14.||"Missing" (Studio version)||Lee, Moody, Hodges||4:16|
Behind the scenes
- Amy Lee — vocals, piano
- Rocky Gray — drums
- John LeCompt — guitar, vocals on "Bring Me to Life"
- Terry Balsamo — guitar
- William Boyd — bass
Charts and certifications
- Greene, Julie E (December 10, 2004). "County couple sues Wal-Mart over lyrics". The Herald-Mail. Retrieved May 27, 2007.
- "Wal-Mart is sued over rude lyrics". BBC News. December 11, 2004. Retrieved May 27, 2007.
- "Maryland Wal-Mart shoppers offered refunds on Evanescence album". The Associated Press via WMC-TV. August 12, 2005. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007.
- Hall, Sarah (August 12, 2005). "Refunds Offered in Evanescence Case". E! Online. Archived from the original on April 26, 2010.
- Loftus, Johnny. "Anywhere but Home: Review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved May 15, 2010.
- Barton, Geoff (February 2005). "Evan' Tonight". Classic Rock. 76. London, UK: Future Publishing Ltd. p. 112.
- Harris, Chris (October 11, 2006). "Evanescence Butcher The Killers In Battle For Billboard #1". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- "Anywhere but Home - Evanescence". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- "Top 20 DVD - 22.11.04 sl 28.11.04" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Lista Anual DVD's Musicales 2004 - Top 10" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. 2004. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home". ARIA Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Austriancharts.com - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home". Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 14, 2007.
- "Ultratop.be - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Ultratop.be - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home" (in French). Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Dutchcharts.nl - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home" (in Dutch). Mega Album Top 100. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Lescharts.com - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home". Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 14, 2007.
- "Chartverfolgung – Evanescence" (in German). Media Control Charts (Germany). Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Top 50 Ελληνικών και Ξένων Άλμπουμ: Εβδομάδα 27/2-5/3" (in Greek). IFPI Greece. Archived from the original on March 3, 2005.
- "Charts.org.nz - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 14, 2007.
- "Portuguesecharts.com - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home". Associação Fonográfica Portuguesa. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Hitparade.ch - Evanescence - Anywhere but Home". Swiss Music Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 14, 2007.
- "Evanescence Chart History - Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Evanescence > Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 14, 2007.
- "Associação Brasileira de Produtores de Discos". abpd.org.br. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community". Swisscharts.com. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- "Recording Industry Association of America". RIAA. Retrieved March 26, 2012.