Aoyama, Minato, Tokyo
Kita-Aoyama (北青山?) or "North Aoyama" refers to the area on the north side of Aoyama-dori (Aoyama Street) between Aoyama Gakuin University and the Akasaka Palace, while Minami-Aoyama (南青山?) or "South Aoyama" refers to the area to the south of Aoyama-dori and extends to the northern edge of Roppongi, Azabu and Hiroo. Minami-Aoyama is the location of Japan's first municipal cemetery, Aoyama Cemetery, opened in 1872.
During the Edo Period, Aoyama was home to various temples, shrines, and samurai residences. The name Aoyama derived from a samurai named Aoyama Tadanari who served the Tokugawa Shogunate and held his mansion in this area. Today, along with Shibuya and Harajuku, it is one of the most popular entertainment and shopping areas for young people in Tokyo. It is well known for its fashion houses, restaurants, and shopping. Chichibunomiya Rugby Stadium is in the North part of Aoyama.
Places in Aoyama
Companies and organizations based in Aoyama
- Oracle Corporation Japan
- Berlitz (Asia Headquarters)
- Itochu (Tokyo office)
- Honda Motor
- Sony Financial Holdings
- Sony Life Insurance
- Nikka Whisky Distilling
- Nippon Microscope Works, Ltd., also known as Nikken
- Avex Group Holdings, Inc. (AGHD) (Main Office)
- Louis Vuitton Japan
- Comme des Garçons
- Hip Land Music Corp.
- Victor Entertainment
- Acne Studios
- Teikoku Databank
- Nional Federation of Health Insurance Societies
- Embassy of Brazil in Tokyo
- Italian Trade Commission Tokyo Office
- Italian State Tourist Board Tokyo Office
- Four Seeds Corporation (Pizza-La, etc.)
- Cube Japan
- Aoyama-itchōme Station (Ginza Line, Hanzōmon Line, Toei Ōedo Line)
- Omotesandō Station (Chiyoda Line, Ginza Line, Hanzōmon Line)
- Gaiemmae Station (Ginza Line)
- Nogizaka Station (Chiyoda Line) - located in the southeastern corner of Minami-Aoyama adjacent to Roppongi
- "The Foreign Section Trust". Archived from the original on 9 May 2006. Retrieved 2006-06-18. – formed in 2005 to preserve the foreign section of Aoyama cemetery in Tokyo
- Avex Group Holdings, Inc. Company Outline. Avex Group Holdings, Inc. "3-1-30, Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8577"
- Corporate Info Four Seeds Corporation
- Chevalier, Michel (2012). Luxury Brand Management. Singapore: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-118-17176-9.