Kita-Aoyama (北青山) or "North Aoyama" refers to the area on the north side of Aoyama-dori (Aoyama Street) between the Akasaka Palace and Aoyama Gakuin University, while Minami-Aoyama (南青山) or "South Aoyama" refers to the area to the south of Aoyama-dori and extends to the northern edge of Roppongi, Azabu and Hiroo.
During the Edo period, Aoyama was home to various temples, shrines, and samurai residences. The name Aoyama derived from a samurai named Aoyama Tadanari who served the Tokugawa Shogunate and held his mansion in this area. Today, along with Shibuya and Harajuku, it is one of the most popular entertainment and shopping areas "Omotesandō", for young people in Tokyo. It is well known for its fashion houses, restaurants, and shopping. Chichibunomiya Rugby Stadium is in the North part of Aoyama.
Places in Aoyama
- Aoyama Twin Towers (Aoyama Twin Buildings)
- Clarence international school (Pre school)
- Aoyama junior high school (Japanese Public school)
- Aoyama elementary school (Japanese Public school)
- Seinan elementary school (Japanese Public school)
- Blue Note Tokyo
- Nezu Museum
- Zenkō-ji Aoyama-Betsuin, managed by Jōdo-shū school of Buddhism, branch temple of the Shinano Zenkō-ji. It is located in Omotesandō intersection.
- Aoyama Cemetery
- Meiji Shrine Outer Gardens (明治神宮外苑, Meiji Jingu Gaien)
- Chichibunomiya Rugby Stadium
Companies and organizations based in Aoyama
Avex Group's headquarters building before its renovation in 2016.
Comme des Garçons main branch in Minami-Aoyama.
- Oracle Corporation Japan
- Berlitz (Asia Headquarters)
- Honda Motor
- Sony Financial Holdings
- Sony Life Insurance
- Nikka Whisky Distilling
- Avex Group
- Comme des Garçons
- Hip Land Music Corp.
- Victor Entertainment
- Acne Studios
- Teikoku Databank
- Embassy of Brazil in Tokyo
- Embassy of Morocco in Tokyo
- Italian Trade Commission Tokyo Office
- Italian State Tourist Board Tokyo Office
- Four Seeds Corporation (Pizza-La, etc.)
- Cube Japan
- Aoyama-itchōme Station (Ginza Line, Hanzōmon Line, Toei Ōedo Line)
- Omotesandō Station (Chiyoda Line, Ginza Line, Hanzōmon Line)
- Gaiemmae Station (Ginza Line)
- Nogizaka Station (Chiyoda Line) – located in the southeastern corner of Minami-Aoyama adjacent to Roppongi, and Akasaka