|Developer(s)||Apache Kudu Committers and PMC Members|
1.11.1 / 20 November 2019
|Operating system||Linux, macOS|
|Type||Database management system|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
Apache Kudu is a free and open source column-oriented data store of the Apache Hadoop ecosystem. It is compatible with most of the data processing frameworks in the Hadoop environment. It provides completeness to Hadoop's storage layer to enable fast analytics on fast data.
Comparison with other storage engines
Kudu was designed and optimized for OLAP workloads. Like HBase, it is a real-time store that supports key-indexed record lookup and mutation. Kudu differs from HBase since Kudu's datamodel is a more traditional relational model, while HBase is schemaless. Kudu's "on-disk representation is truly columnar and follows an entirely different storage design than HBase/Bigtable".
- Apache HBase
- Apache Hive
- Apache Impala
- Apache Parquet
- Apache Drill
- Apache Spark
- Apache Thrift
- "Apache Kudu - Releases". Retrieved 21 November 2019.
Kudu 1.11.1 was released on November 20, 2019.
- "Project Status". 2017-05-21. Archived from the original on 2017-05-21. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
Is Kudu open source? Yes, Kudu is open source and licensed under the Apache Software License, version 2.0. Apache Kudu is a top level project (TLP) under the umbrella of the Apache Software Foundation.
- "Why was Kudu developed internally at Cloudera before its release?". 2017-05-21. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- "Apache Kudu releases". 2017-05-21. Archived from the original on 2017-05-21. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
Kudu 1.0.0 was released on September 19, 2016. It is the first release not considered “beta”. […] Kudu 0.5.0 (beta) was released on Sep 28, 2015. It was the first public version of Kudu.
- "Why build a new storage engine? Why not just improve Apache HBase to increase its scan speed?". 2017-05-21. Archived from the original on 2017-05-21. Retrieved 2017-05-21.