|• Revised Romanization||Apgujeong-dong|
|• Total||2.53 km2 (0.98 sq mi)|
|• Density||13,058/km2 (33,820/sq mi)|
Apgujeong-dong (Korean pronunciation: [apk͈udʑʌŋdoŋ]; Hangul: 압구정동; Hanja: 狎鷗亭洞) is a ward of Gangnam-gu in Seoul, South Korea. It is considered one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in South Korea, where one square meter costs up to $20,000.[clarification needed] The dong originates from a pavilion with the same name founded by Han Myung-hoi, a high-ranking government official during the Joseon dynasty. It is an upmarket residential, fashion, shopping, and educational area. The Hanja name translates into "Seagull Pavilion," a reference to his nickname, which itself was a reference and a mark of peace when viewing a group of seagulls flying.
One of the main shopping area is Apgujeong Rodeo Street, along with Cheongdam-dong Fashion Street in Cheongdam-dong and Garosu-gil in Sinsa-dong, which are connected by the main avenue Apgujeong-ro. It is seen as a fashionable and trendsetting destination.
The area is filled with upscale department stores, shops, boutiques, hagwons, cafes and restaurants. Two main department stores, Hyundai Department Store and Galleria Department Store, are located in this area with both being Flagship Stores.
Apgujeong Rodeo Street is located opposite the Galleria Department Store, with shops of local and international designers as well as Nori Market, The Vanessa Bruno outlet, Mui Mui Cafe, and On Friday Restaurant.
On the eastern extreme of Apgujeong lied the headquarters of K-pop entertainment agency S.M. Entertainment. The company moved their offices to Cheongdam-dong in 2012. The building is going under renovations to serve as a Global Training Center for SM Entertainment trainees. The Caffè Pascucci coffee chain in Apgujeong was used as one of the main filming locations for Seoul Broadcasting System's 2001 drama Beautiful Days, starring Lee Byung-hun, Choi Ji-woo, Ryu Si-won, Shin Min-a, Lee Jung-hyun and Lee Yoo-jin.
This area is also known for its many plastic surgery clinics. It is one of the vainest places in Seoul.
Schools located in Apgujeong-dong:
- Apgujeong Elementary School
- Apgujeong Middle School
- Sinsa Middle School
- Apgujeong High School
- Cheongdam High School
- Hyundai Senior High School
- "압구정동 (Apgujeong-dong 狎鷗亭洞)". Doosan Encyclopedia (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- "압구 (狎鷗)". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- Rahn, Kim (28 July 2011). "Three Gangnam districts show latest fads". Korea Times. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Apgujeong & Cheongdam". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Apgujeong Rodeo Street, Gangnam". Visit Seoul. Seoul City Tourism. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Beautiful Days". Korean TV Drama. Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
|This Seoul location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|