|Full name||Apirana Pewhairangi|
19 March 1992 |
Palmerston North, New Zealand
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||15 st 2 lb (96 kg)|
|Position||Stand-off, Hooker, Centre|
As of 13 August 2017
Api Pewhairangi (born 19 March 1992) is a New Zealand-born professional rugby footballer who represented Ireland in rugby league at the 2013 World Cup. He currently plays for the London Broncos in the rugby league Championship, signing from Irish provincial rugby union side Connacht in the Pro12. In league Pewhairangi primarily plays as a five-eighth, with centre a secondary position. In union, he is registered with Connacht as a centre.
Rugby league career
Newcastle Knights (2009–2012)
Pewhairangi was signed by the Newcastle Knights in 2009. He played for the Knights' NYC team from 2010 to 2012, captaining the side in 2012. However Pewhairangi did not break into the first-grade side during his time with the Knights.
Parramatta Eels (2013–2014)
In 2013, Pewhairangi moved to the Parramatta Eels and played for the Wentworthville Magpies in the NSW Cup. In Round 9 of the 2013 NRL season he made his National Rugby League debut for the Eels on 11 May 2013 against the Brisbane Broncos.
New Zealand Warriors (2015)
London Broncos (2016-)
On the 12th May 2016, Kingstone Press Championship team London Broncos offered Pewairangi a 4-week trial at the club. He made his debut in London's 62-4 home win against Whitehaven, scoring 2 tries. After the game, the Broncos announced they have signed Pewhairangi on a contract until the end of the 2017 contract.
Pewhairangi qualified to play for Ireland through his grandmother from Lucan. Despite not having been capped before and not playing for the team at under-age level, Pewhairangi was named in the Irish squad for the 2013 World Cup. He played in two of Ireland's tournament games.
Rugby union career
In June 2015 it was announced that Pewhairangi would switch codes, joining Irish rugby union side Connacht. Pewhairangi trained with the squad in the 2015–16 preseason and featured in friendly matches against Grenoble and Castres. However he suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury in the Castres game.
- "First class Manawatu opportunity". Stuff. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Rugby League Project
- Chris Barclay (2012-07-26). "Disabled children inspire young player". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Api Pewhairangi - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Warriors Sign Irish International". Rugby League Week. 2014-11-27. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "NSW CUP ROUND #16 v Mounties". Warriors.co.nz. 24 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Rugby League World Cup 2013". Rlwc2013.com. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Ireland qualified Api Pewhairangi signs for Connacht". Irish Independent. 19 June 2015. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Pewhairangi joins long-term casualties". Galway Independent. 2 September 2015. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Api Pehwarangi.|