|Founded||July 2004 in Santa Clara, California, U.S.|
|Founder||Raj Singh |
|Headquarters||San Jose, California|
Apigee Corp. was an API management and predictive analytics software provider before its merger into Google Cloud. It was founded in 2004 as Sonoa Systems before being rebranded as Apigee in 2010. Apigee was acquired by Google in a deal worth $625 million in 2016.
Sonoa Systems was founded in 2004 in Santa Clara, California, by Raj Singh and Ravi Chandra. In early 2006, Sonoa brought on Chet Kapoor as CEO. Initially the company developed a router-like appliance for XML / SOA Governance, but over time branched into application platforms and cloud computing. In 2009, Sonoa released a public beta of an API management tool called Apigee, providing app developers with a free, Cloud-based platform for providing security and analytics for their APIs. In 2010, Sonoa rebranded as Apigee, and the API Management platform became the core of the business, with premium features added shortly after.
Apigee quickly expanded its corporate customer base, including the likes of Netflix and Walgreens. In 2012, Apigee acquired Mobile API company Usergrid and in 2014, it acquired predictive analytics company InsightsOne. On April 24, 2015 , Apigee raised $87 million through a public IPO on the NASDAQ.
Apigee revenues are generated through subscriptions to its API management platform and through professional services to subscribing customers. Apigee offers free tiers of its products, with premium features reserved for subscribers.
- Miller, Ron (8 September 2016). "Google will acquire Apigee for $625 million". TechCrunch.
- "Sonoa Systems – The Gatekeeper To Your Cloud Services - CloudAve". CloudAve. 30 March 2009.
- "Sonoa Systems Launches Apigee for API Analytics, Protection and Control".
- "Sonoa Systems Is Now Apigee; Offers Free, Premium and Enterprise Product Lines for API Providers and Developers | Apigee". apigee.com.
- "What the Netflix Button Means to Your Business Strategy | Apigee". apigee.com.
- "Walgreens: Putting an API Around Their Stores | Apigee". apigee.com.
- Malik, Om (18 January 2012). "Apigee buys Usergrid, shifts focus to mobile". gigaom.com.
- Williams, Alex (8 January 2014). "Apigee Acquires InsightsOne To Deepen API Analytics Offerings". TechCrunch.
- Taulli, Tom. "Apigee CEO: Navigating Rough IPO Waters". Forbes.
- "Open API Initiative | Apigee". apigee.com.
- "Apigee has Joined Google | Apigee". apigee.com.
- Miller, Ron. "Google will acquire Apigee for $625 million". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-08.