Aplington-Parkersburg High School
|Aplington-Parkersburg High School|
|610 N Johnson St
|Motto||"Committed To Promoting Life Long Intellectual and Personal Growth"|
|School district||Aplington-Parkersburg Community School|
|NCES District ID||1903750|
|NCES School ID||190375001337|
|Enrollment||274 (June 2013)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.89:1|
|Color(s)||Red, Black and Silver
|Athletics conference||North Iowa Cedar League|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aplington-Parkersburg High School.|
Aplington-Parkersburg High School is a school in Parkersburg, Iowa, United States. It was formed in 1992 from the merger of Aplington and Parkersburg school districts. On May 25, 2008, the school was destroyed by an EF5 tornado. It has since been rebuilt.
The athletic extracurricular activities at Aplington-Parkersburg High School are football, volleyball, cross country, basketball, wrestling, tennis, soccer, golf, track and field, softball and baseball. The Falcons are classified as a 2A school. Throughout its history, Aplington-Parkersburg has won several state championships in various sports and were state runner-up numerous times. In addition, several graduates have gone on to participate in Division I, Division II, and Division III athletics.
|Season||Sport||Number of championships||Year|
|Track and Field (wheelchair division)||3||2005, 2006, 2007|
|Track and Field, Girls'||1||2001|
- Jared DeVries, retired NFL player for the Detroit Lions
- Aaron Kampman, retired NFL player who played mainly for the Green Bay Packers
- Brad Meester, retired NFL player for the Jacksonville Jaguars
- Casey Wiegmann, retired NFL player who played mainly for the Chicago Bears and Kansas City Chiefs
- "Aplington team part of rich boys' state hoops history". Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier. March 8, 2012. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- "Aplington Parkersburg High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- "Ex-Iowa teacher gets prison for sexual contact with students". Chicago Sun Times. Associated Press. June 17, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Sullivan, Jim (August 28, 2014). "Ed Thomas' spirit still strong at Aplington-Parkersburg". Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- High School Staff Archived March 11, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Iowa School District Profiles Aplington-Parkersburg" (PDF). Iowa State University. June 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Drehs, Wayne (June 24, 2008). "Iowa town turns to football to recover from tornado". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Ed Thomas shot, killed inside school". ESPN. June 25, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- Ed Thomas Cover Archived July 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Small Iowa high school produces four NFL players". ESPN.com. Associated Press. October 11, 2004. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Owens, Shannon (November 15, 2012). "Brad Meester shows his feminine side". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Zinser, Lynn (June 24, 2009). "Iowa Coach Is Fatally Shot at School He Helped Rebuild". New York Times. Retrieved October 6, 2014.