|Directed by||Anil Sharma|
|Produced by||Sangeeta Ahir|
|Screenplay by||Neeraj Pathak|
|Story by||Neeraj Pathak|
|Music by||Himesh Reshammiya|
|Edited by||Ashfaque Makrani|
|Distributed by||Vijayta Films|
Apne (translation:Ours) is a 2007 Indian Hindi sports drama film directed by Anil Sharma. It is the first film to feature Dharmendra and his real-life sons Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol together. Previously Sunny and Bobby had worked together in Dillagi (1999) and Dharmendra and Sunny had also appeared together in Sultanat (1986) and Kshatriya (1993). Kiron Kher, Shilpa Shetty and Katrina Kaif play the female leads. The film is heavily inspired from Million Dollar Baby. The film opened to an excellent response across India and emerged as a hit overseas as well.
Dharmendra plays the role of a disgraced ex-boxer Baldev Chaudhary who tries to wash a stain in his boxing career through his sons Angad and Karan (Sunny & Bobby Deol). Dharmendra had earlier played the role of a boxer in the film Main Intequam Loonga (1982). Footage from that film is used as flashback scenes in this film to show Baldev's career as a boxer.
Former Olympic medallist boxer Baldev Choudhary (Dharmendra) is disgraced while competing for the World Heavy weight championship when a betting syndicate falsely accuses him of drug doping. He tries to erase this stain upon his honour by training up his son, Angad (Sunny Deol) but financial difficulties keep them from achieving his dream. He trains a local boy to get into a media hyped TV boxing show, but is dropped for a better coach at the last minute. Baldev's younger son Karan (Bobby Deol) has just launched his first music album. Realising his father is depressed, he gives up his own dream of a musical career to become a boxer and please his father. Karan persists with training and wins a series of fights, thinking that victory will bring his family together. The final match is with the current world heavy champion; Karan is tricked and he ends up paralysed in a hospital bed. Baldev, who wanted to wash a stigma is now about to lose his son. When Karan reveals the world heavy champion cheated, Angad decides to return to boxing and win the title for his father. He eventually brings the world heavyweight champion belt to India in triumph, however meanwhile Karan suffers liver damage and requires a liver to survive. A guilt stricken Baldev pleads with the doctors to use his liver, but the doctors reject the idea. In a stroke of luck, a liver is given to Karan through an unknown donor. In the end, Baldev who was going to give up his life for Karan, is instead alive and happy with his family.
- Dharmendra as Baldev Singh Choudhary
- Sunny Deol as Angad Singh Choudhary
- Bobby Deol as Karan Singh Choudhary
- Katrina Kaif as Dr. Nandini Sarabhai (Karan's love interest)
- Shilpa Shetty as Simran Singh Choudhary (Angad's wife)
- Kirron Kher as Raavi Singh Choudhary (Baldev's wife)
- Javed Sheikh as Roy (Baldev's friend and Media Baron)
- Victor Banerjee as Ehsaan Ali (Baldev's friend)
- Jonnie Brown as Luca Gracia
- Divya Dutta as Pooja
- Raj Khatri as Boxing Commentator
- Aryan Vaid as Gaurav Ghera
- Kurush Deboo as Dr. Niranjan Sarabhai
- Marvina Vinique as Luca's wife
- Jonathan Samson as a Bodyguard
- Rajendra Gupta as Bhullar Saab
- Bhagwant Mann Himself
- Amar Singh Himself
|Soundtrack album by|
|Himesh Reshammiya chronology|
- "Mehfooz Rakhta Hoon" – Himesh Reshammiya
- "Dekhoon Tujhe" – Himesh Reshammiya, Akriti Kakkar
- "Apne To Apne Hote Hain" – Jaspinder Narula, Sonu Nigam, Jayesh Gandhi
- "Ankh Vich" – Shaan, Kunal Ganjawala, Amrita Kak, Himesh Reshammiya (replaced in the movie by Zubeen Garg)
- "Bulls Eye" – Shaan, Earl d'Souza
- "Tere Sang" – Jaspinder Narula, Sonu Nigam
- "Mehfooz" (Remix) – Himesh Reshammiya
- "Ankh Vich Chehra Pyaar Da" (Remix) – Shaan, Amrita Kak, Himesh Reshammiya, Kunal Ganjawala
- "Dekhoon Tujhe To Pyaar Aaye" (Remix) – Himesh Reshammiya, Akriti Kakkar
Apne opened to a very good response throughout the country especially in the Northern territories most notably Punjab where it had a mammoth opening becoming a gigantic blockbuster in the long run. The rest of the country saw a good opening for Apne. The Gross Collection of Apne was Rs. 450,544,575.
Overseas the film also opened to a fantastic response, especially in the UK. In its opening weekend the film made £179,457. The film entered the U.K Top Ten at number 3. In its second week the film made £320,138 and remained in the Top Ten at number 5. It was one of the few films which enjoyed extreme success at the overseas market for 2007. The film has been declared a semi-hit overseas and a hit in India.
Taran Adarsh in his review stated that "Apne is rich in emotions and has the potential to strike a chord with families. Those who love emotional fares are bound to take a liking for its theme." The movie was also dubbed into Punjabi.
A sequel named Apne 2 was officially announced on 30 November 2020, and will star Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol and Sunny's son Karan Deol. It goes on floors in March 2021 and has been scheduled for a theatrical release on 5 November 2021, coinciding with Diwali.
- "Overwhelming response in Punjab". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 15 July 2007. Retrieved 24 July 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 March 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "imdb.com". Overseas response. Retrieved 24 July 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "UK Top Ten: 29 June". IMDb. Retrieved 24 July 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "UK Top Ten: 6 July 2007". IMDb. Retrieved 24 July 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "boxofficeindia.com". Apne's verdict. Archived from the original on 8 August 2007. Retrieved 24 July 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Adarsh, Taran. "Apne: Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 7 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Apne 2: Karan Deol joins family franchise with Dharmendra, Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol, see motion poster". Hindustan Times. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)