Apocalypse (Mahavishnu Orchestra album)
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Air Studios, London|
|Mahavishnu Orchestra chronology|
|Christgau's Record Guide||C|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Apocalypse is the Mahavishnu Orchestra's fourth album, released in 1974.
It is performed by the second line-up of the Mahavishnu Orchestra and the London Symphony Orchestra. It was produced by George Martin, who regards it as “one of the best records [he has] ever made”.
The back cover features a poem by Sri Chinmoy as well as a group photo of those who created the album.
All music composed by John McLaughlin; Lyrics to "Smile of the Beyond" composed by "Mahalakshmi" Eve McLaughlin
|1.||"Power of Love"||4:36|
|2.||"Vision is a Naked Sword"||14:16|
|3.||"Smile of the Beyond"||7:56|
|1.||"Wings of Karma"||6:12|
|2.||"Hymn to Him"||19:23|
- John McLaughlin - guitars, vocal composer
- Gayle Moran - keyboards, vocals
- Jean-Luc Ponty - electric violin, electric baritone violin
- Ralphe Armstrong - bass guitar, vocals
- Narada Michael Walden - drums, percussion, vocals
- Michael Tilson Thomas - conductor, piano
- Michael Gibbs - orchestration
- Marsha Westbrook - viola
- George Martin - producer
- Carol Shive - violin, vocals
- Philip Hirschi - cello, vocals
- Geoff Emerick - engineer
Billboard (United States)
- Apocalypse at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: M". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved March 2, 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- Campbell, Hernan M. (4 August 2012). "Review: Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse | Sputnikmusic". sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 135. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Martin 1979, p. 109.