Apocalypse (chess variant)
The game was featured in Issue 53 of Games & Puzzles magazine.
The starting setup is as shown. Horsemen and footmen move and capture the same as knights and pawns in chess, except footmen do not have a double-step option on their first move. For each turn, each player secretly writes down his move, then the players simultaneously declare them. The following rules apply:
- If they moved to the same square, a horseman captures a footman. Same-type pieces are both removed from the board.
- If a capture was declared using a footman, but the piece to be captured moved from its square, the footman move still stands. (The move converts to a diagonal step instead of a capture.)
- If a declared move is illegal, the player incurs a penalty point.
End of game
- Pritchard, D. B. (1994). The Encyclopedia of Chess Variants. Games & Puzzles Publications. ISBN 0-9524142-0-1.
- Pritchard, D. B. (2007). Beasley, John (ed.). The Classified Encyclopedia of Chess Variants. John Beasley. ISBN 978-0-9555168-0-1.