Apocynum, commonly known as Indian hemp, is a genus of the plant family of the Apocynaceae with seven species. Its name is from the Greek: apo, away and cyno, attributed to its toxicity. The genus is native to North America, temperate Asia (China, Siberia, Kazakhstan, etc.), and SE Europe (Italy, Bulgaria, Ukraine, etc.).
Apocynum cannabinum was used as a source of fiber by Native Americans. Apocynum venetum (Chinese: 羅布麻) is used as an herbal tea in China. Dogbane contains cymarin, a cardiotonic agent used to treat cardiac arrhythmia in humans.
Almost 300 names have been proposed in the genus for species, subspecies, and forms. Only the following are currently recognized as species, with several subspecies and varieties accepted for A. androsaemifolium and A. venetum (see species pages).
- Apocynum androsaemifolium L. 1753 not Forssk. 1775 – Canada, United States, NE Mexico
- Apocynum cannabinum L. – Canada, United States
- Apocynum × floribundum Greene (syn. A. × medium) – Canada, United States, N Mexico (A. androsaemifolium × A. cannabinum)
- Apocynum pictum Schrenk – China (Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang), Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan
- Apocynum venetum L. – Italy, Bulgaria, Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, Siberia, Central Asia, Iran, Iraq, Cyprus, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Japan
- "World Checklist of Selected Plant Families". Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/coopext/plantdetail.do?sna=Apocynum+androsaemifolium&image=0 Colorado Plant Database
- Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 181 罗布麻属 luo bu ma shu Apocynum Linnaeus, Sp. Pl. 1: 213. 1753.
- Biota of North America Program 2013 county distribution maps
- National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Hepatoprotective effect of Apocynum venetum and its active constituents
- National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Cymarine
- Edible and Medicinal plants of the West, Gregory L. Tilford, ISBN 0-87842-359-1
- Treatment from the Jepson Manual
- "Apocynum". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- UVSC Herbarium - Apocynum
- Some dogbane pictures
|This Apocynaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|