|Industry||Computer and video games
|Headquarters||Garland, Texas, United States|
Apogee Software, LLC is an American video game publisher based in Garland, Texas. The original Apogee Software was founded in 1987, it was rebranded as 3D Realms in 1994, and the Apogee Software moniker was abandoned as a trade name; though the company's legal name is still 'Apogee Software, Ltd', the company known as 'Apogee Software, LLC' is an external licensee of the revived Apogee brand.
The original Apogee Software was established in 1987 as Apogee Software Ltd. In 1994, Apogee established its 3D Realms brand for publishing 3D video games distributed by the company. By 1996, with 3D video games dominating the industry, the Apogee name was dropped and all games by the company were published under the 3D Realms brand, although the company's legal name remains Apogee Software, Ltd.
In July 2008, 3D Realms announced they would revive the Apogee Games brand to develop and publish new games, as well as help distribute older Apogee titles. The Apogee name, logo and library were licensed to a new company, Apogee Software, LLC. George Broussard and Scott Miller, both of 3D Realms, assisted in the formation of the new company, but have no role in any of its management decisions. The new Apogee soon signed a deal with Deep Silver to co-publish a trio of Duke Nukem games for the Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable called Duke Nukem Trilogy. The company also sells several Apogee and 3D Realms titles through the digital distribution platform GOG.com and its own online store.
For games published by Apogee Software Ltd., see 3D Realms.
- Duke Nukem: Critical Mass (Frontline Studios)
- Rise of the Triad for the iPhone (Mobila Interactive)
- Rise of the Triad (2013) (Interceptor Entertainment)
- Radical Heroes: Crimson City Crisis (2016) (Mad Unicorn Games)
- "Legendary Apogee Returns to Action". Apogee Software, LLC. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Faylor, Chris (16 July 2008). "Duke Nukem Trilogy Preview: Duke Heads to WW2, Apogee Talks Possible PC Release & DS Censorship". Shack News. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Corporate Profile". 3D Realms. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Deep Silver Signs Co-Publishing Agreement with Apogee Software". Apogee Software, LLC. 15 July 2008. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Apogee Classics available at Gog.com!". Apogee Software, LLC. 26 February 2009. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Mitchell, Richard (17 June 2011). "Apogee opens online store, peddling its classics". Joystiq. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Icarus Studios and Apogee Software Partner to Produce Sam Suede". Apogee Software, LLC. 3 March 2010. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- O'Connor, Alice (3 March 2010). "Leisure Suit Larry Creator's 'Sam Suede' Resurrected". Shack News. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Radical Heroes: Crimson City Crisis on Steam". store.steampowered.com. Retrieved 2016-11-12.