Apollonia 6 (album)
|Studio album by Apollonia 6|
|Released||October 1, 1984|
|Recorded||February– August 1984 (except for "Sex Shooter" recorded in Mid-October 1983)|
|Studio||Kiowa Trail Home Studio, Chanhassen, MN, USA; Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA, USA; Flying Cloud Drive Warehouse, Eden Prairie, MN, USA|
|Genre||R&B, disco, funk, soul, house, dance, new wave, pop, rock, Minneapolis sound, freestyle, contemporary R&B|
|Producer||Prince (as The Starr ★ Company)|
|Singles from Apollonia 6|
The album was initially to be the second release by the Prince-formed group Vanity 6, but when lead singer Vanity departed Prince's camp, the musician hired Apollonia Kotero, thus changing the group's name and album.
Apollonia 6, the album, primarily features the vocals of Kotero and Bennett with backing vocals by Wendy & Lisa and Jill Jones (Susan Moonsie only recorded one song for this album). The album spawned only one hit, "Sex Shooter", which was performed by the group in the film Purple Rain.
As was the case with the Vanity 6 album, the album is perhaps most notable for the songs that were not a part of the album. These included the Prince-penned songs "Manic Monday" (later recorded by The Bangles), and two songs originally intended for Vanity 6 (the group and the album): "17 Days" (later used by Prince as the B-side to "When Doves Cry"), and "The Glamorous Life" (recorded by Sheila E. in 1984).
Although the album was released primarily on vinyl and audio cassette (Warner Bros. 9 25108), a CD version of the album was released in Japan (W.B. WPCP-3701). The CD has become a highly sought-after collectible.
|1.||"Happy Birthday, Mr. Christian"||Apollonia Kotero, The Revolution, Brenda Bennett, Susan Moonsie||7:06|
|2.||"Sex Shooter"||Apollonia Kotero||3:39|
|3.||"Blue Limousine"||Brenda Bennett||6:19|
|4.||"A Million Miles (I Love You)"||Brenda Bennett||5:51|
|5.||"Ooo She She Wa Wa"||Susan Moonsie||4:10|
|6.||"Some Kind of Lover"||Brenda Bennett||4:48|
|7.||"In a Spanish Villa"||Apollonia Kotero, Wendy Melvoin||2:12|
- Vocals: Apollonia Kotero, Susan Moonsie, Brenda Bennett
- Multi-instruments: Prince & The Revolution
- Guitars: Wendy Melvoin
- Keyboards: Lisa Coleman
- Bass: Mark Brown
- Drums, percussion: Sheila E.
- Additional backing vocals: Jill Jones
- Produced by Prince (as The Starr ★ Company)
- Recorded, engineered and mixed by Peggy McCreary & The Starr ★ Company
- Mastered by Bernie Grundman
|Year||Song||US Hot 100||US Dance||US R&B|
The last names of the members of Apollonia Six appeared on screen as race car drivers in Season 2, Episode 11 of the FX animated series Archer (TV series).
- Allmusic review
- "Apollonia 6". Angelfire.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Track listing". Discogs.
- "Happy Birthday, Mr. Christian". ASCAP.[permanent dead link]
- "Sex Shooter". ASCAP.[permanent dead link]
- "Blue Limousine". ASCAP.[permanent dead link]
- "Ooo She She Wa Wa". ASCAP.[permanent dead link]
- "Some Kind of Lover". ASCAP.[permanent dead link]
- "In a Spanish Villa". ASCAP.[permanent dead link]