|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Directed by||Madhav Ramadasan|
|Produced by||George Mathew
|Screenplay by||Hemanth Kumar
|Music by||Sheikh Ellahi|
|Edited by||K. Srinivas|
|Distributed by||Time Ads Release|
Apothecary is a 2014 Malayalam medical thriller film directed by Madhav Ramadasan, and produced by George Mathew and Baby Mathew under the banner of Arambankudiyil Cinemas. The film stars Suresh Gopi, Jayasurya, Abhirami, Meera Nandan, and Asif Ali.
Dr. Vijay Nambiar (Suresh Gopi) is a skilled and renowned neurosurgeon. He lives with his wife, Dr. Nalini Nambiar (Abhirami), and their two children. Both doctors work at the Apothecary Hospital. The film begins with Nambiyar's being admitted to the hospital because of a motor vehicle accident. He has suffered a brain injury, and his chance of survival seems slim. Subin Joseph (Jayasurya), a patient of Nambiyar's, comes to visit him.
Subin recounts his experience at the hospital under Nambiyar's care. The hospital is revealed to be run greedily, with patients being subjected to expensive and unnecessary tests and medicines. Nambiyar is a doctor with a good reputation, but is forced by the management to run clinical trials for new drugs. He realizes that such trials are necessary for progress, but the lack of ethical protocol and the side effects of such drugs turn the patients' lives into a living hell.
This dilemma consumes him, causing him to have hallucinations of his clinical trial patients. His soul is locked in a surreal struggle between the good and the bad actions of his work. His accident resulted from such an episode, wherein he fell to the road in a fit of panic. Finally, he is redeemed with the realization that his work has saved thousands, compared to the few lives destroyed by his actions. Should he live, he would go on to save even more lives.
Nambiyar returns to life a changed man. He confronts the hospital board about their actions. He reminds them of the definition of 'Apothecary' which was used years back, to refer to doctors who treated village folk with their medicines. Stating that the hospital simply retains that name, he leaves the hospital to set up a charitable institution. His wife and several of the hospital staff and patients accompany him on his new journey.
- Suresh Gopi as Dr. Vijay Nambiar
- Jayasurya as Subin Joseph
- Asif Ali as Prathapan
- Abhirami as Dr.Nalini Nambiar, wife of Dr. Vijay
- Meera Nandan as Daisy, lover of Subin
- Raghavan Nair as Dr. Shankar Vasudev
- Indrans as Joseph, father of Subin
- Kavitha Nair as Sabira Usman
- Thampy Antony as Dr. Ali Ahamed
- Neeraj Madhav as Shinoy Joseph, brother of Subin
- Lishoy as Dr. Peethambaran
- Malavika as Meenu
- Jayaraj Warrier as Varkkichan
- Arun as Dr. Raheem
- Seema G. Nair as Clara, mother of Subin
- Jayan Cherthala as Sajan Xavier
- Mohanakrishnan as Hameed
- Dr. George Mathew as Dr. Mathew Koshi
- Shivakumar as Dr. MK Nambiar, father of Dr. Vijay
- Preman as Meenu's father
- Sajad Brite as Usman, husband of Sabira
- Neeraja as Dr. Nimisha
- Saniya Iyappan
- Bindu Krishna as Dr. Maria
Paresh C Palicha of Rediff movies praised Suresh Gopi's performance and noted that the film could have been better. Nicy, V.P. of International Business Times, wrote that Apothecary is a must watch. She also praised performance of Jayasurya.
- Won, Special Jury Mention - Dr George Mathew (Producer)
- Won, Special Jury Mention - Indrans – Acting
- "Suresh Gopi, Jayasurya, Asif Ali In Apothecary - Oneindia Entertainment". entertainment.oneindia.in. Archived from the original on 29 August 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- "'Apothecary' Movie First Look Poster - Malayalam Movie News". indiaglitz.com. Archived from the original on 29 August 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- "Meera-Jayasurya to play a couple in Apothecary - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Archived from the original on 5 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- Onmanorama Staff (10 August 2015). "State Awards: Nazriya, Nivin, Sudev bag top honours". Malayala Manorama. Archived from the original on 13 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- C Palicha, Paresh. "Review: Apothecary could have been better". Rediff.com. Rediff.com. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- V.P, Nicy (7 August 2014). "'Apothecary' Movie Review Round up: Must Watch Film Starring Suresh Gopi, Jayasurya and Asif Ali". International Business Times. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "State Awards: Nazriya, Nivin, Sudev bag top honours" Archived 13 August 2015 at the Wayback Machine.. Malayala Manorama. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.