|Industry||Application performance management|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, United States|
|Revenue||US$ 143.8 million (2015)|
AppDynamics is a application performance management (APM) and IT operations analytics (ITOA) company based in San Francisco. The company focuses on managing the performance and availability of applications across cloud computing environments as well as inside the data center. In March 2017, AppDynamics was acquired by Cisco for $3.7 billion.
History and Founding
AppDynamics was founded in 2008 by Jyoti Bansal, a former lead software architect at Wily Technologies, a provider of application performance management technology. AppDynamics received five rounds of funding totaling $206.5 Million.
In January 2017, Cisco announced their intention to acquire AppDynamics for $3.7 billion just days before a planned IPO of the company. The move was seen as continuation of Cisco's strategy of growing its software oriented business. In March 2017, Cisco completed the acquisition of AppDynamics. AppDynamics is currently lead by David Wadhwani as an independent business unit within Cisco's IoT and Applications business.
On April 10, 2013, CA Technologies (formerly Computer Associates) filed a lawsuit in the US District Court for the Eastern District in New York. The lawsuit claims that AppDynamics violated three patents that came into CA Technologies' possession through acquisitions. This was the second action CA Technologies filed in connection with alleged infringement of patents obtained in the acquisition of Wily Technology. In November 2012, CA Technologies filed a lawsuit asserting patent infringement of the same three APM patents against software company, New Relic. On April 20, 2015 AppDynamics and CA settled the two-year-old patent dispute. AppDynamics said that it paid a "modest fixed payment." 
- MacVittie, Lori. (March 31, 2010) "AppDynamics Puts the Management in Application Performance Management." Two Different Socks Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- Demery, Paul. (February 26, 2010). "Priceline Finds a Way to Monitor its Wide World of Applications." InternetRetailer. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- Harzog, Bernd. (May 4, 2010). "AppDynamics Raises an $11 Million Series B Round – Confirms APM 2.0 Opportunity." The Virtualization Practice. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "Forbes Cloud 100". Forbes. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "Forbes Releases Inaugural Cloud 100 List". Forbes. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- "Cisco Announces Intent to Acquire AppDynamics". Cisco. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- Smythe, Christie. "CA Technologies Sues AppDynamics Over IT Patents".
- Dulaney, Chelsey (20 April 2015). "AppDynamics, CA Inc. Settle Two-Year-Old Patent Dispute". Retrieved 26 January 2017 – via Wall Street Journal.