App Empire: Make Money, Have a Life, and Let Technology Work for You
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for books. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genre||Self-actualization, Business, Non-fiction|
|Publisher||John Wiley & Sons (USA)|
|Pages||205 p. (US hardcover edition)|
App Empire: Make Money, Have a Life, and Let Technology Work for You is a book by Chad Mureta. It chronicles Mureta's transformation from real estate agent to "appreneur" and provides a non-technical guide to starting an mobile app business.
After surviving a car accident that almost ended his life, Mureta borrowed $1,800 from his stepfather to start an app business from his hospital bed. Although he had no previous experience in the app or technology fields, he used the money to create his first app, "Fingerprint Security-Pro," which mimics fingerprint-scanning technology. Fingerprint Security-Pro became a bestseller in the App Store, netting more than $50,000. Mureta would go on to found three app companies, developing 46 apps that have been downloaded 35 million times.
App Empire is outlined as a how-to guide for those interested in "cash[ing] in on the App gold rush." The book opens with Mureta's appreneur lifestyle, including scuba diving in Fiji and learning martial arts in Buenos Aires, while managing his app business from his iPhone. The book goes onto teach lessons like how to emulate and innovate on existing apps in the iOS App Store, how to hire great programmers and how to generate effective marketing into the app. Mureta also developed the seven pillars of an app business, which he identifies as:
- Psychology and a Winning Mindset
- Market Research
- App Development and Maintenance
- Analytics and Tweaking
- Marketing and Monetization
- Team and Systems
- Professional Networking
App Empire was featured in The Huffington Post, TechCrunch, The Houston Chronicle, and Mixergy with The Seattle Post-Intelligencer describing the book as "a wonderful book that explains how to make lots of money formulating, building and promoting popular apps."
- Keen, Andrew (March 30, 2012). "Keen On… Chad Mureta: How Apps Can Change Your Life TCTV". TechCrunch.
- Maresca, Joseph S (March 27, 2012). "Book Review: App Empire - Make Money, Have a Life, and Let Technology Work For You by Chad Mureta". Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- Mureta, Chad (2012). App Empire: Make Money, Have a Life, and Let Technology Work for You. Wiley. p. 205. ISBN 978-1-1181-0787-4.
- Becoming an App Millionaire by Accident. Houston Chronicle. February 29, 2012.
- Chun, Janean Chun (June 20, 2012). "Chad Mureta Of App Empire Started His $6 Million App Business From A Hospital Bed". The Huffington Post.
- Warner, Andrew (August 22, 2011). "Empire Apps: Pulling Off A Comeback In A Brand New Market – Chad Mureta". Mixergy.
- Ferriss, Tim (April 22, 2012). "How to Build an App Empire: Can You Create The Next Instagram?". FourHourWorkWeek.com.