Appalachian Symphony Orchestra
|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Appalachian Symphony Orchestra, or ASO, is the student symphony orchestra of the Mariam Cannon Hayes School of Music at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. The orchestra is under the direction of Dr. Chung Hoon Park. The Appalachian Symphony Orchestra is a 100+ member performance ensemble comprising undergraduate and graduate students from the distinguished Hayes School of Music as well as talented student musicians from across the campus and community. The ASO presents five to six concerts a year and performs literature from the standard orchestral repertoire spanning the baroque to the contemporary.
Highlights from the ASO's recent seasons include:
- Symphony No. 1 - Gustav Mahler
- Symphony No. 3 - Camille Saint-Saëns
- A Child's Garden of Dreams: Book II World Premiere - David Maslanka
- Symphony No. 1 - Dmitri Shostakovich
- Symphony No. 4 - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- The Firebird: Suite (1919 version) - Igor Stravinsky
- Tod und Verklarung - Richard Strauss
- Capriccio espagnol - Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
- Symphony No. 2 - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Symphony No. 4 - Johannes Brahms
- Symphony No. 5 - Dmitri Shostakovich
- Symphony No. 5 - Ludwig van Beethoven
In August 2006, the ASO released their first CD under the Albany Records label, with the World Premiere of David Maslanka's, Symphony No. 6: Living Earth, commissioned by James Allen Anderson and the Rho Tau Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. Also on the recording is the ASO performing Maslanka's, 11:11 - A Dance at the Edge of the World.
On December 7, 2008, the Appalachian Symphony Orchestra performed the World Premiere of Maslanka's, A Child's Garden of Dreams - Book II. The program was in collaboration with the Appalachian Wind Ensemble under the direction of Dr. John Stanley Ross. The concert also featured Maslanka compositions Mother Earth: A Fanfare and A Child's Garden of Dreams. The performance is currently being edited for distribution to a major record label.
- Living Earth - Appalachian Symphony Orchestra (ALB 859)