|Member of the Sri Lankan Parliament
for Jaffna District
8 April 2010 – 26 June 2015
10 October 2000 – 7 February 2004
|Born||19 December 1933|
|Political party||Tamil National Alliance|
|Ethnicity||Sri Lankan Tamil|
Appathurai Vinayagamoorthy (Tamil: அப்பாத்துரை விநாயகமூர்த்தி; born 19 December 1933) is a Sri Lankan Tamil lawyer, politician and former Member of Parliament. He is a former leader and president of the All Ceylon Tamil Congress.
Vinayagamoorthy was born on 19 December 1933.
Vinayagamoorthy was a long-standing member of the All Ceylon Tamil Congress (ACTC). He was one of the ACTC's candidates in Jaffna District at the 1989 parliamentary election but the ACTC failed to win any seats in Parliament. He took on the leadership of the party following the assassination of Kumar Ponnambalam in January 2000. He was one the ACTC's candidates for Jaffna District at the 2000 parliamentary election. He was elected and entered Parliament. He relinquished leadership of the ACTC to Ponnambalam's son Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam when he entered politics in 2001.
On 20 October 2001 the ACTC, Eelam People's Revolutionary Liberation Front, Tamil Eelam Liberation Organization and Tamil United Liberation Front formed the Tamil National Alliance (TNA). Vinayagamoorthy contested the 2001 parliamentary election as one of the TNA's candidates in Jaffna District. He was elected and re-entered Parliament. He was one of the TNA's candidates in Vanni District at the 2004 parliamentary election but failed to get elected after coming sixth amongst the TNA candidates.
Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam left the TNA in 2010, taking the ACTC with him but Vinayagamoorthy stayed with the TNA. He was one of the TNA's candidates in Jaffna District at the 2010 parliamentary election. He was elected and re-entered Parliament. He was not chosen to contest the 2015 parliamentary election.
|1989 parliamentary||Jaffna District||ACTC||986||Not elected|
|2000 parliamentary||Jaffna District||ACTC||3,825||Elected|
|2001 parliamentary||Jaffna District||TNA||19,472||Elected|
|2004 parliamentary||Vanni District||TNA||13,586||Not elected|
|2010 parliamentary||Jaffna District||TNA||15,311||Elected|
- "Directory of Members: A. Vinayagamoorthy". Parliament of Sri Lanka.
- "Result of Parliamentary General Election 1989" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka.
- de Silva, W. P. P.; Ferdinando, T. C. L. 9th Parliament of Sri Lanka (PDF). Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Limited. p. 183.
- "General Election 2000 Preferences" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka.
- Jeyaraj, D. B. S. "Tamil National Alliance enters critical third phase - 1". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). Archived from the original on 4 April 2010.
- "Tamil parties sign MOU". TamilNet. 20 October 2001.
- "General Election 2001 Preferences" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka.
- "General Election 2004 Preferences" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka.
- "Parliamentary General Election - 2010 Jaffna Preferences" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka.
- "TNA's selection of candidates and its internal conflict". Tamil Diplomat. 9 July 2015.