|Founded||Atlanta, Georgia (2006 )|
|Founder||Jeff Haynie and Nolan Wright|
|Products||Titanium, Appcelerator Platform|
Jeff Haynie and Nolan Wright met at Vocalocity, an Atlanta-based voice over IP company that Haynie had co-founded. After Haynie sold Vocalocity in 2006, the pair founded Web 2.0 application development company Hakano.
In 2008, Appcelerator relocated to Mountain View, California and later released a preview of its Appcelerator Titanium product, which drew comment as a possible open source competitor to Adobe AIR.
Appcelerator began to focus on mobile apps in 2009. In June, it released a public beta of Titanium, which added support for Android and iOS app development to its existing web and desktop application features. Titanium 1.0 released in March 2010.
Appcelerator increased its employee count five-fold between October 2010 and 2011. The company's 2011 revenue totaled $3.4 million, a 374 percent increase from 2008.
Between 2011 and 2013, Appcelerator announced acquisitions, including:
- Aptana, integrated development environment (IDE) company
- Particle Code, HTML5 mobile gaming development platform
- Cocoafish, backend as a service
- Nodeable, big data analytics company
- Singly, API management company in August, 2013.
Appcelerator moved to its San Jose headquarters in 2015.
In January 2016, Appcelerator was acquired by Axway, a company that helps enterprises handle data flows.
- Axway Appcelerator Dashboard offers real-time analytics of the lifecycle and success of apps built on the Axway Appcelerator Mobile Solution or directly via native SDK.
- Axway Appcelerator Studio is an open extensible development environment for building, testing and publishing native apps across mobile devices and OSs including iOS, Android.
- Axway API Builder is an opinionated framework for rapidly building APIs with a scalable cloud service for running them. It allows developers to connect, model transform and optimize data for both native or web app clients. API Builder and API Runtime are the backbone of the Axway Appcelerator Platform MBaaS.
- Axway Mobile Analytics is an Mobile Analytics offering that collects and presents information in real time about an application's user acquisition, engagement and usage.
In December 2008, Appcelerator closed a $4.1 million first venture round led by Storm Ventures and Larry Augustin. Later, in October 2010, the company announced a partnership with PayPal and that it has raised $9 million in Series B funding from investors including Sierra Ventures and eBay.
Appcelerator raised $15 million in Series C funding led by Mayfield Fund, Red Hat, and Translink Capital in November 2011, and a further $12.1 million in a round led by EDBI, the venture fund of the Singaporean government's Economic Development Board, in July 2013.
- 2012 The Wall Street Journal: Technology Innovation Award in Software
- 2012 The Wall Street Journal: The Next Big Thing
- 2012 Red Hat Innovation Award Winner: Extensive Partner Ecosystem
- 2012 Momentum Index: 100 Open Source Companies
- 2012 Edison Awards Winner
- 2012 Silicon Valley Business Journal's Best Places to Work in the Bay Area
- Appcelerator Titanium
- Mobile application development
- Mobile Backend as a service (MBaaS)
- Mobile Enterprise Application Platform (MEAP)
- Schubarth, Cromwell. "Appcelerator raises $22M to help speed mobile development". Silicon Valley Business Journal. American City Business Journals.
- Ravindranath, Mohana. "Arlington contractor CACI teams up with California firm to build mobile apps". The Washington Post.
- O'Donnell, Jake. "New MBaaS tool connects mobile apps to back-end services". TechTarget.
- Foley, John. "Startup Of The Week: Appcelerator Promises Faster RIA Development". InformationWeek.
- "Best Places to Work Finalists Revealed". San Francisco Business Times.
- "TechJournal Atlanta's Hakano now Appcelerator, changes strategy". Tech Journal. Archived from the original on 2012-10-02. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Blankenhorn, Dana. "Fleury's back and SOA's got him". ZDNet.
- Ha, Anthony. "Appcelerator launches open source platform for desktop apps". VentureBeat.
- Rosenberg, Dave. "Monetizing open source and killing Adobe AIR". CNET.
- Krill, Paul. "Appcelerator enables iPhone, Android app dev". InfoWorld.
- Perez, Sarah. "Titanium 1.0 Launches: Build Native Apps for Desktop, Mobile & iPad". ReadWrite.
- "Inc. 500 Company Profile: Appcelerator". Inc.
- Paul, Ryan. "Appcelerator buys Aptana, strengthens Titanium mobile dev solution". Ars Technica.
- Taft, Darryl. "Appcelerator Releases Titanium Studio IDE for Mobile, Desktop and Web Development". eWeek.
- Taft, Darryl. "Appcelerator Bolsters Mobile HTML5 Expertise With Particle Code Acquisition". eWeek.
- O'Dell, J. "Fueled by mobile madness, Appcelerator acquires Cocoafish". VentureBeat.
- Perez, Sarah. "Appcelerator Acquires Mobile Cloud Services Startup Cocoafish". TechCrunch.
- Hesseldahl, Arik. "Appcelerator acquires Nodeable, boosts big data". AllThingsD.
- Perez, Sarah. "Appcelerator Acquires Nodeable, Makers Of Real-Time Big Data Processing Tool StreamReduce". TechCrunch.
- Devindra Hardawar (August 22, 2013). "Why did Appcelerator buy Singly? Because it wants to be the next Oracle". Venture Beat. Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- Lardinois, Frederic. "Axway Acquires Mobile App Development Platform Appcelerator". TechCrunch.
- Lardinois, Frederic. "Appcelerator Makes Its Platform More Flexible With Native SDK Support, API Builder And Updated Analytics". TechCrunch.
- Nicastro, Dom. "Appcelerator Eyes Big Fish in Mobile App Dev Space". CMSWire.
- O'Donnell, Jake. "New MBaaS tool connects mobile apps to back-end services". SearchConsumerization. TechTarget.
- Preimesberger, Chris. "Appcelerator Platform Now Can Build APIs for Apple Watch". eWeek.
- "Titanium". Appcelerator.org.
- Bort, Julie. "Microsoft Might Buy A Startup That Powers 10 Percent Of The World's Smartphones". Business Insider.
- Hardawar, Devindra. "Why did Appcelerator buy Singly? Because it wants to be the next Oracle". VentureBeat.
- Alcocer, Ricardo. "Top 10 tips for building better mobile apps". InfoWorld.
- Waters, John. "Appcelerator Updates Mobile Dev Platform, Partners with Tester SOASTA". Application Development Trends Magazine.
- Hendrickson, Mark. "Appcelerator Raises $4.1 Million for Open Source RIA Platform". TechCrunch.
- Warren, Christina. "Appcelerator and PayPal Team Up for Mobile Commerce". Mashable.
- Perez, Sarah. "Appcelerator Raises $15 Million Series C Round". TechCrunch.
- Ong, Josh. "Appcelerator picks up $12.1M to grow its mobile enterprise platform and open Asia HQ in Singapore". The Next Web.
- Cutler, Kim-Mai. "Appcelerator Raises $12.1M To Expand Into Asia And Help Enterprises Build The Best Apps". TechCrunch.
- Kolodny, Lora. "Appcelerator Raises $22M Series D to Help Businesses Make More From Their Mobile Apps". Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- "Appcelerator Wins Software Category". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Looking for the 'Next Big Thing'? Ranking the Top 50 Start-Ups". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Red Hat Innovation Award Winners". Red Hat.
- "Appcelerator Winning Streak Continues With Honors From OnMobile and Momentum Index". Reuters.
- "2012 Edison Award Winners".
- "Best Places to Work Finalists Revealed". Silicon Valley Business Journal.