Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Look up appeal in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Appeal may refer to:
Arguments and rhetoric
- Various types of informal fallacy are described as an appeal to something. These are examples of "weak" or rejected appeals, e.g.:
- In rhetoric, an appeal is defined as a "persuasive strategy" such as Aristotle's three artistic proofs:
Law and parliamentary procedure
- Appeal, in law an appeal is a challenge of a judicial judgement to a higher authority, usually called an appellate court
- Appeal procedure before the European Patent Office
- Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences, in the United States
- Appeal (motion), in parliamentary procedure, an appeal is a challenge of the chair's ruling
Arts, entertainment, and media
- Appeal, an anti-slavery document by abolitionist David Walker
- The Appeal, a novel by John Grisham
- The Commercial Appeal, a daily newspaper in Memphis, Tennessee
A common rhetorical device in philosophical texts: "this appeals to/from that" -means roughly "to make sense of this with regard to that"
- Philosophical Investigations, by Ludwig Wittgenstein
- 228 "... it gives expression to the fact that we look to the rule for instruction and do something, without appealing to anything else for guidance."
- 265 "... justification consists in appealing to something independent. ... surely I can appeal from one memory to another."
- The Problems of Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell
- Ch VI "... If we are challenged as to why we believe that it will continue to rise as heretofore, we may appeal to the laws of motion: ..."
- Ch VII. "... 'Why should I accept the results of valid arguments based on true premisses?' we can only answer by appealing to our principle. ..."
- Appeal to the Colored Citizens of the World, an 1829 abolitionist pamphlet written by David Walker
- Appeal of 18 June, Charles de Gaulle's call for French resistance against Nazi Germany after the Battle of France
- The Mariam Appeal, a political campaign established in 1998
- Appeal (cricket), a request to an umpire for a ruling on whether a cricket batsman is out
- Appeal play, in baseball
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Appeal.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.