Appetizer showing the Tango icon set.
|Original author(s)||Laurent Cozic|
|Initial release||August 30, 2008|
|Stable release||22.214.171.1244 February 13, 2010|
|Written in||C++, wxWidgets|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||Over 24 languages|
|Type||Dock bar / Application launcher|
|License||GNU GPL 3|
Appetizer is an open source dock for Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7, which allows organizing the user's shortcuts and applications. It can be customized via skins and plugins and is available in 25 languages. Various other features are available including support for keyboard shortcuts, custom icons and tray icon support. Appetizer also features a function to automatically launch certain applications when it starts.
Appetizer started as a PortableApps.com application. As such it is designed to be portable and can be installed on a USB drive or other portable device. If the standard PortableApps.com folder structure is detected on the drive, Appetizer will automatically import the user's shortcuts.
Appetizer has been reviewed by several websites and magazines. It was chosen as "freeware of the month" by UpdateStar in 2009 and was in the "top 10 of the best launchers" on Clubic. Clubic appreciated its ease of use and the small size of its executable. DownloadSquad reviewed Appetizer and noted that thanks to its open source nature, "it is easy for anyone to develop skins, plugins, or other features for the application". Likewise, LifeHacker called it a "free, polished, and highly customizable open source candidate". Softonic noted that the application didn't "really add many new functions to the Start menu" but was "a very eye-catching alternative menu" and "goes straight to the point". PC World reviewed Appetizer and noted that it "would likely be of most use when run alongside the also-free portable app suite".
- Cozic, Laurent (2008-11-04). "Appetizer 0.9.4 (Build 958)". PortableApps.com. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Freeware of the month: Appetizer". UpdateStar. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Monnier, Michaël; Stéphane Ruscher (2009-03-22). "Top Clubic des gratuitiels pour lancer vos applications" (in French). Clubic. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Monnier, Michaël. "Appetizer 126.96.36.1998" (in French). Clubic. Archived from the original on 11 November 2010. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Linder, Brad (2009-04-23). "Appetizer: Open source, portable application launcher". DownloadSquad. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Fitzpatrick, Jason (2009-04-25). "Appetizer is a Customizable Open Source Application Launcher". LifeHacker. Archived from the original on 27 October 2010. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Santos, Elena (2009-04-24). "An alternative Start menu for apps and files". Softonic. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Larkin, Erik (2009-05-23). "Appetizer makes it faster to launch Portable Apps". PCWorld. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Funky Web - Lundi 2 novembre 2009" (in French). Game One. 2009-10-02. Retrieved 21 November 2010.