Water tower in Appleby
Location of Appleby, Texas
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.6 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||410 ft (125 m)|
|• Density||207.1/sq mi (80.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1351226|
Appleby is located at (31.717968, -94.607731).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the 2010 census Appleby had a population of 474. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 92.6% white, 2.7% black or African American, 1.3% Native American, 1.1% Vietnamese, 0.2% other Asian, 1.9% reporting some other race and 0.2% from two or more races. 5.9% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 444 people, 179 households, and 134 families residing in the city. The population density was 207.1 people per square mile (80.1/km²). There were 196 housing units at an average density of 91.4 per square mile (35.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 90.77% White, 6.53% African American, 0.45% Asian, 0.90% from other races, and 1.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.15% of the population.
There were 179 households out of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.9% were married couples living together, 6.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.6% were non-families. 20.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city, the population was spread out with 22.5% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $45,568, and the median income for a family was $53,929. Males had a median income of $36,667 versus $23,375 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,548. About 4.9% of families and 8.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.0% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Appleby is served by the Nacogdoches Independent School District and is home to the Golden Dragons. The Nacogdoches Independent School District is made up of ten schools, including Brooks Quinn Jones Elementary School, Carpenter Elementary School, Fredonia Elementary School, Martin Education Center For Achievement, McMichael Middle School, Mike Moses Middle School, Nacogdoches High School, Nettie Marshall Elementary School, Raguet Elementary School and Thomas J. Rusk Elementary.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Get Appleby, TX Demographics". Texas Demographics. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- 2010 general profile of population and housing characteriticis from the US census for Appleby
- "Schools". NISD. Retrieved 2012-02-06.