Appleby East railway station
Appleby East railway station in 1997.
|Original company||Eden Valley Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway|
|9 June 1862||Station opened as Appleby|
|1 September 1952||Station renamed Appleby East|
|22 January 1962||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Appleby East railway station is a closed railway station that was situated on the Eden Valley Railway between Kirkby Stephen East and Penrith in Cumbria, England. The station was formerly one of two that served the town of Appleby-in-Westmorland, the other being Appleby West station on the Midland Railway's Settle to Carlisle line. The latter station is still open, albeit now simply called Appleby station.
Opened by the Eden Valley Railway, it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. Passing to the Eastern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948, it was then closed by the British Transport Commission.
The site today
The station is fairly intact and is used by a scrap merchant.
In 1995, the Eden Valley Railway Society was formed with the aim of restoring the line and reintroducing a train service. The society, now renamed the Eden Valley Railway Trust, now operates a heritage service from Warcop station, and is upgrading the track towards Appleby East for public service.
- Walton, Peter (1992). The Stainmore & Eden Valley Railways. Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 0-86093-306-7.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas And Gazetteer. Ian Allan Publishing. 1997 . ISBN 0-7110-0320-3.
- Station on navigable O.S. map. Northerly of the two stations.
- Cumbria's Lost Railways - Appleby East Station
- Appleby and the Eden Valley Railway
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Kirkby Thore||North Eastern Railway
Eden Valley Railway
|This article on a railway station in North West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|