||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013)|
Appletiser is a premium sparkling fruit juice created by blending fruit juice with carbonated water. French-Italian immigrant Edmond Lombardi created Appletiser in 1966 in Elgin Valley of the Western Cape, South Africa.
Red and White Grapetiser, Peartiser and Appletiser Colours are fruit variants. Appletiser is consumed with meals or at celebrations as an alternative to alcoholic drinks.
Whilst Appletiser is primarily sold in its home market of South Africa, the brand is also marketed in SADC, UK, Belgium, Canary Islands, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand, whilst being further exported to more than 20 countries worldwide.
- 1965: Edmond Lombardi creates Appletiser.
- 1966: Lombardi introduces Appletiser, which achieves national distribution (South Africa) in September 1966.
- 1968: Further export markets are opened, including the Middle and Far East, Africa, Hong Kong, the Congo, Rhodesia, Swaziland, Lesotho and England.
- 1969: Appletiser is exported to Japan and the Canary Islands.
- 1979: The Coca-Cola Company purchases a 50% stake in Appletiser.
- 1981: Appletiser launches the Red and White Grapetiser.
- 1982: Appletiser is launched in the United Kingdom as ‘Appletise’. SAB (South African Breweries) acquires 100% of Appletiser.
- 1997: The MacMillan Interbrand Survey recognises Appletiser as one of the world's top three hundred brands.
- 2001: The Appletiser brand name, packaging and positioning is standardised internationally.
- 2005: Peartiser is launched as part of Appletiser’s 40th anniversary.
- 2008: The Appletiser logo is updated along with the tagline, ‘Deliciously Good for Me’.
- 2009/2010: Appletiser is awarded second place in the ‘coolest beverage brand’ category in the Sunday Times Generation Next Survey.
- 2013: Appletiser launches the Limited Edition Pomegranate sparkling juice.
- 2014: Appletiser launches the ‘Crown the Moment’ campaign. Appletiser Colours (Pink and Amber) range is launched.
Appletiser and Grapetiser contain no added sugar or colourants and are available in 750 ml, 275 ml, 330 ml, 350 ml and 1.25 l pack sizes. Appletiser Colours range, Pink and Amber, contain 80% fruit juice and 20% water and are available in 350 ml and 1.25 l pack sizes.