Appleton West High School
|Appleton West High School|
|610 North Badger Avenue
Appleton, Wisconsin 54914
|Established||1915 (based at current location since 1938)|
|School district||Appleton Area School District|
|Color(s)||Orange and Blue|
|Athletics conference||Fox Valley Association|
The building housing Appleton West High School was originally home to Appleton Senior High School. From 1915-1938, the school was housed at the current Morgan Administrative Building. In 1938, the current facility was built. "Appleton Senior High School" is still etched in to the front of the building. After Appleton East High School was built, the school was renamed to Appleton West in 1967. Appleton West has an enrollment of approximately 1350 students. The mascot of Appleton West is the Terror, a cross between a wolf and a fox, as the school is situated in between the Wolf River and the Fox River.
In 2012, Appleton West was ranked eighth out of Wisconsin's 543 high schools in U.S. News' 2012 Best High Schools rankings.
In 1992 the varsity football team won the Division 1 State Championship and the baseball team took the state title in 2004.
In August 2014 the school dedicated a new football stadium on school grounds. Home football games are currently played at Lawrence University's Banta Bowl. This will continue until the school can build enough seating according to FVA regulations on school grounds. The team has previously played home games at Goodland Field, Einstein Middle School, Appleton North High School, and Appleton East High School.
Addition to Tradition
The school is currently working on a project, called "Addition to Tradition". The Addition to Tradition project is designed to improve the outdoor educational and athletic facilities at the school. The project's first two phases were completed between 2009 and 2013. Phase 3, the current phase began in the summer of 2015. In September 2016, the school began work on the installation of artificial turf on the football/soccer field as well as install a press box.
Further parts of the project include the installation of additional bleachers, a concession stand, and outdoor restrooms. No date has been set for these projects.
- John Bradley, one of six U.S. Marines to raise the flag at Iwo Jima during World War II
- Brian Butch, professional basketball player with the Denver Nuggets
- Donald Dafoe transplant surgeon
- Willem Dafoe, actor
- John Francis Doerfler, Roman Catholic bishop
- Catherine Ebert-Gray, United States diplomat
- Matt Erickson, major league baseball player, manager of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- William Beverly Murphy, former CEO Campbell Soup Company
- Daniel J. Piette, 1975, president and CEO of OpenSpirit Corporation
- David Prosser, Jr., Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Kathi Seifert, former executive vice-president of Kimberly-Clark
- "Appleton West's Rest of the Story". Appleton West. West Corporation. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "West History". Appleton West High School. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Top Wisconsin High Schools - Best High Schools - US News - US News". US News & World Report. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Behnke, Duke (17 October 2016). "Appleton West needs more seating for football games". Post-Crescent Media. Gannet. Post Crescent. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Froberg, Tim. "West to dedicate new football stadium Friday". Post Crescent. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Addition to Tradition Phase 3 - Appleton West High School". west.aasd.k12.wi.us. West Corporation. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Offical website - Appleton West High School