This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Appliances Online is an Australian online retailer of white goods and home appliances based in Sydney, Australia. The company is a subsidiary of the family-run Winning Group, encompassing Big Brown Box and Winning Appliances. The company claims to have more than 300,000 customers nationwide.
Appliances Online was established in 2005 by John Winning who had worked in retail appliance industry for eight years. Through daily interaction with customers, he spotted an opportunity in the market for a specialist online retailer of appliances and white goods.
John Winning started the business with just a laptop, an 1800 number converted to his mobile, and a rented delivery truck. The company was founded as an online competitor to other electrical and white goods retailers. The business model is based on targeting customers who are limited on time and, in most cases, have a replacement need.
Appliances Online has gone on to set up its own shipping service to the greater Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth, and Hunter regions. The company employs around 150 people in its head office in Sydney and in the warehouses across Australia. It has grown in profit and revenue by 100 percent every year since 2005. In 2011, the average sale item on Appliances Online was $1000.
The Appliances Online warehouse in Brisbane allowed Winning Appliances to launch its first showroom in Queensland in August 2011.
In April 2015, it was announced that Appliances Online's parent company, Winning Group, had purchased Electro Seconds. The acquisition was said to be a strategic opportunity to improve Appliances Online's position in the clearance market.
- 2010 Online Retail Industry Awards Best Pureplay Retailer and Best Customer Experience categories.
- The business was named a finalist for the Oracle World Retail Awards 2011 in July in the category ‘Pure Play Retailer of the Year’.
- In August 2011, Appliances Online CEO John Winning was nominated for the ORIA Industry Recognition Award.
- The company was also nominated in six categories for the 2011 Online Retail Industry Awards, more than any other online retailer in the country.
- Winner of Australia’s Best Platinum Award for Supply Chain Excellence.
- Finalist in the BRW AMP Australian Retailer of the Year Awards 2011 in the Best Use of Technology category.
- Best Customer Experience and Best Site Design and Optimisation at the Online Retail Industry Awards 2011.
- Appliances Online won two awards at the 2011 ActionCOACH My Business Awards, including the PricewaterhouseCoopers Award for Best Medium Business and the ActionCOACH Award for Outstanding Excellence.
Appliances Online set up the Extend Your Hand programme which gives financial support to a variety of charity organisations whose common goal is to better the quality of life in Australia and abroad. These charity organisations that receive donations include Children's Hospitals Foundation Australia and Victor Chang Institute.
Appliances Online also has a sailing team which includes an 18ft Skiff, 2 International Moth (dinghy)s, a 29er (boat) skiff and a Farr 30 (yacht). The team competes in world championship events and local races.
The company was a main sponsor of the MJ Nationals sailing competition, "contributing significantly to meeting the costs of racing and especially towards the magnificent prizes".
- [self-published source]"About Appliances Online Australia".
- "It's not rocket surgery".
- "Online retailer's Winning formula: the company has grown in profit and revenue by 100 percent every year since 2005". The Australian. 29 April 2011.
- "From the Computer to Your Kitchen" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 April 2012.
- "Winning Appliances mentality key to new Brisbane showroom success". Archived from the original on 26 September 2011.
- "Winning Group buys Electro Seconds Factory Outlet; plans in place for Appliances Online's Clearance Outlet - Appliance Retailer". Appliance Retailer. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Winners Announced – Online Retail Awards". Archived from the original on 12 October 2011.
- "Four Aussie retailers make the finals of Oracle World Retail Awards".
- "Online Retail Industry Awards finalists named". Archived from the original on 26 September 2011.
- "Appliances Online Short Listed for Seven Online Retail Industry Awards in 2011".
- "Appliances Online Win Platinum Award In First-Class Business Magazine Australia's Best Retail, Published By Bean Media Group".
- "Appliances Online and Dick Smith awarded as leaders in online retail".
- "Digital disruptors dominate 2011 ActionCOACH My Business awards".
- [self-published source]"Extend Your Hand – Appliances Online".
- "Children's Hospital Foundations Australia".
- [self-published source]"APPLIANCES ONLINE SUPPORTS THE VICTOR CHANG CARDIAC RESEARCH INSTITUTE". Archived from the original on 6 October 2011.
- [self-published source]"Appliances Online Sailing Team". Archived from the original on 17 September 2011.
- "MJ Nationals". Archived from the original on 24 July 2010.
- "Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2011.. Links".
- Consumer reviews