Apponaug, Rhode Island
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Apponaug is a neighborhood in central Warwick, Rhode Island, United States, situated on Apponaug Cove, a tributary to Greenwich Bay and nearby Narragansett Bay. The name Apponaug is a derivation of the Narragansett Indian word for "place of oysters". Indeed, Apponaug Cove holds one of the richest shellfish beds in the United States and was densely populated by the Narragansett people for many centuries prior to the arrival of European settlers.
Apponaug consists of what is effectively a large rotary. In the 1960s, the Rhode Island Department of Transportation was in need of a faster way to feed the increasing number of cars through Apponaug that were en route to West Shore Road and other locations. Traffic patterns were rerouted in what was supposed to be a temporary solution, creating a one-way hub in the center of the village.
Apponaug is located at the intersection of three of Warwick's primary streets: Post Road (U.S. Route 1), Greenwich Avenue (R.I. Route 5), and Centerville Road (R.I. Route 117). It is considered downtown or central Warwick, as Warwick City Hall is located here, plus police and fire headquarters, the Apponaug branch of the Warwick Public Library, a museum, and the post office. The cluster of municipal buildings in the center of Apponaug is designated as the Warwick Civic Center Historic District, while a cluster of stately homes in the southern part of the neighborhood is designated as the Apponaug Historic District.
- Kiernan, John (May 8, 2017). "Hunting for Shellfish in Apponaug". Rhode Island Monthly. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- "Apponaug Village". Warwick Digital History Project. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Needham, Cynthia (18 January 2007). "Demolition for Apponaug Bypass Begins Next Month". The Providence Journal. Archived from the original on 18 January 2007. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- Who Was Who in America, Historical Volume, 1607–1896. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who. 1963.
- Apponaug Village in Warwick, Rhode Island Website
- Description of Apponaug in 1776 Diary of Thomas Vernon, a Tory prisoner, page 93
|This Rhode Island state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|