|Coordinates: 45°24′04″N 5°29′31″E / 45.4011°N 5.4919°E|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Dominique Pallier|
|15.09 km2 (5.83 sq mi)|
|• Density||230/km2 (600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||371–773 m (1,217–2,536 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Apprieu (French pronunciation: [apʁijø]) is a commune in the Isère department in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region of southeastern France.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Apprelans or Apprelanes.
Apprieu is located some 60 km east by south-east of Vienne and 12 km north-west of Voiron stretching along the southern slope of a hill originating from a moraine of Alpine glaciers from the last ice age. Access to the commune is by road D520 from Colombe in the west passing through the town and continuing east to La Murette. The A48 autoroute passes through the southern tip of the commune but has no exit until Exit 9 just to the west of the commune. Apart from the town there are also the hamlets of Plan Bois in the north-east and Le Rivier in the south. The commune north of the town is heavily forested while to the south is mostly farmland with forests to a lesser extent.
The Fure river follows the eastern and southern borders of the commune then flows south to join the Morge river at Le Port.
Neighbouring communes and villages
Apprieu, from the Latin Apprius - an anagram of "Priapus", the ancient god of fertility associated with the ancient city of Lampsacus near Troy.
Party per Fesse, in first party per pale: 1 of Gules, a bee of Or; 2 of Gules, two keys the same posed saltirewise; in second Azure, a blast furnace proper masoned in Sable with open arch
This list is incomplete; you can help by adding missing items. (April 2021)
List of Successive Mayors
In 2017 the commune had 3,313 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
Sites and Monuments
The Forges of Bonpertuis (1859) are registered as an historical monument.
Notable people linked to the commune
The Gourju family settled in Apprieu in 1842 to restart the old forges of Bonpertuis known since 1569 and probably much earlier in the Carthusian period. Alphonse Gourju (ironmaster from Rives), Renage, and Brignoud from the valley of Gresivaudan installed a remarkable puddling furnace at Bonpertuis which is well preserved today. The tradition of ironworking was continued by the Experton family.
Canadian biathlete Yolaine Oddou emigrated to Canada from Apprieu in 1999.
- ^ "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- ^ "Populations légales 2020". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2022.
- ^ Inhabitants of (in French)
- ^ a b Google Maps
- ^ List of Mayors of France
- ^ Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Apprieu, EHESS. (in French)
- ^ Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- ^ Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA38000013 Forges of Bonpertuis (in French)
- Apprieu official website (in French)
- Apprieu on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Aprieu on the 1750 Cassini Map