April 2010 Sumatra earthquake
|Origin time||April 6, 2010, 22:15 UTC|
|Depth||31 km (19 mi)|
|Max. intensity||VIII (Severe)|
The April 2010 Sumatra earthquake occurred on April 7 at 5:15 AM local time with a moment magnitude of 7.8 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VIII (Severe). The shock occurred near Banyak Islands, off the island of Sumatra in Indonesia. A tsunami watch was issued according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu which was later canceled. A 40 cm surge was reported in the Banyak Islands an hour after the quake, along with 62 injuries. Power outages were reported throughout the province of North Sumatra as well as in Aceh. This quake is one of the sequence of large earthquakes along the Sunda megathrust in 2000s.
In Simeulue Regency, 21 were hospitalized in Gunung Putih, Teluk Dalam subdistrict, and 41 were injured in Teupah Selatan subdistrict. Some of the injured were treated at Simeulue general hospital in Sinabang.
- 2010 Mentawai earthquake and tsunami
- List of earthquakes in 2010
- List of earthquakes in Indonesia
- March 2007 Sumatra earthquakes
- September 2007 Sumatra earthquakes
- 7.7-magnitude quake strikes Indonesia
- Re-direct to weather.gov/ptwc Archived April 11, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Jakarta Globe, Tsunami Fears Subside After Sumatra Quake.
- Major earthquake causes panic in Indonesia
- Sumatra hit by major earthquake
- 7.7-magnitude quake strikes Indonesia - CNN.com
- ftp://ftp.gps.caltech.edu/pub/meltzner/FTP-OLD/Simeulue/Simeulue-VillageMap-2.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Another 62 people injured in Simeulue earthquake Archived April 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- M7.8 - northern Sumatra, Indonesia – United States Geological Survey
- Magnitude-7.7 quake rattles Indonesia – MSNBC
- M7.8 Banyak Islands Earthquake, 2010 – Amateur Seismic Centre
- The Diverse Slip Behavior of the Banyak Islands Section of the Sunda Megathrust Offshore Sumatra – American Geophysical Union