April Lee Hernández
|April Lee Hernandez|
January 31, 1980 |
The Bronx, New York, U.S.
|Other names||April L. Hernandez
April Lee Hernandez (born January 31, 1980) is an American film and television actress. She has also been credited as April L. Hernandez and April Hernandez-Castillo.
Hernandez grew up near the Grand Concourse in The Bronx. She is of Puerto Rican descent and has described herself as a "strong Latina". Hernandez studied nutrition in Hunter College, but dropped out to pursue a comedy career after being inspired by John Leguizamo's off-Broadway production Mambo Mouth. Hernandez is married to Jose Castillo. The couple had a daughter, Summer Rose, on September 30, 2012.
Aside from performing stand-up comedy, she has also appeared in several commercials, as well as on the television series ER, Law & Order, and 30 Rock. In June 2010 she was cast for the American cult series Dexter.  She appeared in the television series Person of Interest episode "Legacy", which aired on January 18, 2012, in which she played an attorney who had turned her life around after a checkered childhood.
She is known for her role in the 2007 drama Freedom Writers, in which she played Eva, based on real-life high school student Maria Reyes. Hernandez has said that she was "determined" to be cast in Freedom Writers. She admires Jennifer Lopez, and has stated that Lopez "opened the door for me so that I don't have to take certain roles" as a Hispanic-American actress.
|2007||Freedom Writers||Eva Benitez|
|2009||Big Wes, TheThe Big Wes||Reina|
|2012||History of Future Folk, TheThe History of Future Folk||Carmen|
|2015||Stockroom, TheThe Stockroom||Tina|
|2004||Law & Order||Shayna Rosario||"Can I Get a Witness?"|
|2005||Jonny Zero||Salome||"No Good Deed", "La Familia"|
|2005||Blind Justice||Cindy||"Seoul Man"|
|2005-06||ER||Nurse Inez||Recurring role|
|2007||30 Rock||Vikki||"Black Tie"|
|2010||Dexter||Off. Cira Manzon||Recurring role|
|2011||East WillyB||Maggie||"You've Been Served", "Baseball's Dead"|
|2012||Person of Interest||Andrea Gutierrez||"Legacy"|
|2014||Black Box||Elmira Villetti||"Exceptional or Dead"|
|2015||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Sonya Amaro||"Padre Sandunguero"|
|2015||Following, TheThe Following||Louise||"Boxed In", "Exposed"|
|2016||Elementary||Roxanne Ortiz||"Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing"|
|2016||Feed the Beast||Blanca Herrera||"Father of the Year", "Screw You, Randy", "Secret Sauce"|
- "April Hernandez-Castillo: Finding God". CBN. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- Bastidas, Grace (2007-01-10). "April Rules: Bronx-Born Beauty the New J. Lo?". New York Post. Retrieved 2007-01-10.
- "April Hernandez-Castillo Welcomes Daughter Summer Rose". People. 2012-10-03. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- Miska, Brad (2010-06-16). "More New Blood for Dexter: ER's April Lee Hernandez Joins". Dread Central. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- Barton, Steve (2010-06-16). "TV: 'Dexter' Gains One More Regular for Fifth Season". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- Vincent, Mal (2007-01-05). "Will Freedom Writers earn Swank another Oscar?". Hampton Roads. Archived from the original on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2007-01-06.