|Fate||Acquired by Forest Laboratories|
|Headquarters||Bridgewater, New Jersey|
|John J. Fraher, CEO & President|
Merger of predecessor companies: Axcan and Eurand
Axcan specialized in the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders. Formerly traded publicly on NASDAQ, Axcan was acquired by TPG Capital in 2008. Eurand Pharmaceuticals was a producer and contract manufacturer of sustained release dosage forms or taste-masked pharmaceutical dosage forms. Both Axcan and Eurand produced and marketed versions of the drug pancrelipase, which is used in the treatment of symptoms related to cystic fibrosis.
In 2011, Eurand Pharmaceuticals and Axcan Pharma merged to form Aptalis.
In June 2011, the company received approval from the Food and Drug Administration to sell a low strength version of ZENPEP (pancrelipase) capsules formulated for infants with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis.
On September 3, 2013, the company launched PYLERA capsules (Bismuth subcitrate/metronidazole/tetracycline), which, in combination with omeprazole, is indicated for the treatment of patients with helicobacter pylori infections.
Acquisition of the company by Forest Laboratories
- "Axcan Announces Completion of Transaction With TPG Capital" (Press release). Marketwired. February 25, 2008.
- "The Newly Combined Axcan and Eurand Announce Name Change to Aptalis" (Press release). PR Newswire. May 6, 2011.
- "Aptalis Pharma Announces FDA Approval of 3,000 Lipase-Unit Strength of ZENPEP" (Press release). Marketwired. June 17, 2011.
- "Aptalis Pharma Announces Agreement to Market RECTIV™ in the U.S." (Press release). Marketwired. January 9, 2012.
- "Aptalis Pharma Announces FDA Approval of NDA for Oral Powder Formulation of Viread®, Co-Developed With Gilead Sciences, Inc" (Press release). Marketwired. January 18, 2012.
- "Aptalis Pharma™ Launches PYLERA® 10 Day Therapy PAK in the United States" (Press release). Marketwired. September 3, 2013.
- "Aptalis to be Acquired by Forest Laboratories for $2.9 Billion" (Press release). Business Wire. January 8, 2014.
- Humer, Caroline (January 7, 2014). "Forest Labs to buy Aptalis from TPG for $2.9 billion". Reuters.
- "Aptalis Holdings officially withdraws IPO following announcement of acquisition by Forest Labs". NASDAQ. January 31, 2014.
- "TPG Completes Acquisition of Aptalis Pharmaceutical Technologies, Company Renamed Adare Pharmaceuticals" (Press release). Business Wire. April 2, 2015.