Aquaria (drag queen)
Aquaria at RuPaul's DragCon in 2019
February 12, 1996
|Residence||Brooklyn, New York, U.S.|
|Occupation||Drag queen, television personality, and recording artist|
|Known for||RuPaul's Drag Race (season 10) winner|
Aquaria is the stage name of Giovanni Palandrani (born February 12, 1996), an American drag queen, television personality, and recording artist. She is known for winning the tenth season of RuPaul's Drag Race in 2018.
Early life and education
Palandrani was born in West Chester, Pennsylvania to Gina and David Palandrani, and is of Italian descent. He trained as a dancer for four years and experimented with drag in high school. He attended the Fashion Institute of Technology for two semesters before dropping out, studying women's wear design.
Aquaria is the drag daughter of Drag Race season four winner Sharon Needles. She began performing in drag in 2014. Like RuPaul, Aquaria received early support from Susanne Bartsch. Aquaria was featured in a Vogue Italia spread in January 2016 with Bartsch and other Drag Race alumnae.
In early 2018, it was announced that Aquaria was chosen as one of fourteen contestants for the tenth season of RuPaul's Drag Race, upon her first audition for the program. She won three main challenges, never ranked in the bottom two, and was the first queen in the show's history to win both the ball and the "Snatch Game" in the same season. Aquaria was announced as the winner of the season on June 28, 2018, beating out Eureka O'Hara and Kameron Michaels in the final three.
In October 2018, Aquaria appeared solo in an issue of Vogue Italia, photographed by Michael Bailey-Gates. She was a model for Moschino and H&M's November 2018 Capsule Collection with Bria Vinaite and Jeremy Scott. She received a contract from IMG Models, and was announced as the Entertainment editor for Dazed.
In 2019, Aquaria was announced as one of the faces of MAC's Viva Glam campaign. She attended the 2019 Met Gala, and was the first drag queen to walk the red carpet. In June 2019, Aquaria was one of 37 queens to be featured on the cover of New York Magazine.
As part of the final challenge of season 10, Aquaria and the other top four contestants wrote and recorded their own verses for RuPaul's song "American." The song reached number 12 on the Billboard Dance/Electronic Songs chart.
On July 3, 2018, singer Bebe Rexha criticized Aquaria and the other Drag Race top four queens over Twitter for supposed bad behavior toward her at the VH1 Trailblazer Honors, such as not talking to her and being "cold". Aquaria responded with a series of tweets defending himself and his fellow queens.
As lead artist
As featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions|
(Linux featuring Aquaria)
|"Cher: The Unauthorized Rusical"
(RuPaul featuring the Cast of RuPaul’s Drag Race, Season 10)
(RuPaul featuring Aquaria, Asia O'Hara, Eureka O'Hara & Kameron Michaels)
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race (season 10)||Herself||Contestant (winner)|
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race: Untucked (season 10)||Herself|
|2018||M.U.G.||Herself||Guest (with host Naomi Smalls)|
|2018||Queens of Kings||Self (in and out of drag)||Subject of one episode|
|2019||Fashion Photo RuView||Herself||Judging Season 11 runway looks (with Raja)|
- "The Unauthorized Rusical". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 10. Episode 8. 2018-05-10. Event occurs at 8:22. VH1. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
My name's Aquaria and my birthday is February 12, 1996.
- Dommu, Rose (2018-04-05). "Aquaria: The Unreal Housewife of New York". Paper. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "West Chester-born drag queen Aquaria makes it to 'RuPaul's Drag Race' finale". Philly.com. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- Katz, Evan Ross (2018-01-16). "It's the age of Aquaria — and we're just along for the ride". Mic.
- Cuby, Michael (2018-04-05). "Aquaria Doesn't Need Drag Race To Become a Superstar". them. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Lorusso, Billy (2018-02-08). "The 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 10 Cast Will Be A Doozy If These Queens Are In The Running". Bustle. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens share their beauty secrets". New York Post. 2018-06-02. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Yes. It's me… Susanne Bartsch - Vogue.it" (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "'RuPaul's Drag Race': 5 Memorable Moments From Season 10 Finale". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- Baggs, Michael (2018-06-25). "Drag Race: Who should win season 10?". BBC News. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "30 Viacom Shows and Movies Up for People's Choice Awards: Vote Through October 19". Viacom Corporate. 2018-09-26. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Aquaria on Instagram: "🎙 Aquaria as Mina 🎙 🎶 For @vogueitalia October 2018 issue 📸 Photographer @michaelbaileygates 🧥 Fashion Editor: Brian Molloy @brian__molloy…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Aquaria of 'RuPaul's Drag Race' modeling for Moschino x H&M". Page Six. 2018-10-11. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "RuPaul's Drag Race Season 10 Winner Aquaria is Turning Looks Like You've Never Seen in These Stunning New Spreads". VH1 News. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Aquaria Signed to IMG, Named New Entertainment Editor of Dazed Magazine". WWD. 2018-10-15. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- "Aquaria and Troye Sivan Are the Faces of MAC's Viva Glam Campaign". www.out.com. 2019-05-01. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Nast, Condé. "Troye Sivan and Aquaria Star in M.A.C.'s New Viva Glam Campaign". Allure. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Aquaria's Met Gala Look Could Kill You Three Ways". www.out.com. 2019-05-06. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Levesley, David. "This year marked the first time drag queens attended the Met Gala". British GQ. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Aquaria Made History by Being the First Drag Queen to Walk the Met Gala Red Carpet | NewNowNext". www.newnownext.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "On The Cover: The Most Powerful Drag Queens In America".
- Youtt, Henry (2018-07-11). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' Queens Who Landed Entries on the Billboard Charts". Billboard. Lynne Segall. Archived from the original on 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- Aquaria - Topic (2016-03-31), Looks (feat. Aquaria), retrieved 2018-07-04
- "Aquaria Gears Up for Another Tight Race in Debut Single 'Burn Rubber'". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- "'RuPaul's Drag Race': Which queen will win Season 10? Who should?". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Bebe Rexha Spars Online With 'Drag Race' Winner Aquaria Over Behavior at VH1's Trailblazer Honors". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "INTO: A Digital Magazine For The Modern Queer World". intomore.com. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "Aquaria Calls Travis Scott's Apology For Removing Trans Model From 'Astroworld' Art 'An Apologist Mad Lib'". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "Aquaria's MUG: M.U.G. 209". M.U.G. Season 2. Episode 9. 2018-08-18. WOW Presents Plus. Retrieved 2018-08-19.
- Garner, Glenn (2018-09-05). "Exclusive: An Intimate Look at Aquaria in Queens of Kings Teaser". Out. Joe Landry. Archived from the original on 2018-09-15. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aquaria (drag queen).|