Aquarium of Rhodes
The Aquarium of Rhodes
|Total volume of tanks||80,000 litres (21,000 US gal)|
The Aquarium of Rhodes is a research centre, aquarium and museum in Rhodes, Greece. It was built in the 1930s, when the island was under the Italian rule and is currently administered by the National Centre of Marine Research.
The building, an Art deco design by the Italian architect Armando Bernabiti, was constructed between 1934 and 1935. When it first started operations in 1937, it was named the Reale Istituto di Ricerce Biologiche di Rodi (Royal Biological Research Institute of Rhodes). Research here included the hydrology, sponges, and fisheries of the Aegean.
When the island was handed back to Greece in 1945, the facility was operated as part of the "Hellenic Hydrobiological Institute". Since 1963 it has been known as the "Hydrobiological Station of Rhodes", and is administered by the National Centre of Marine Research. An exhibition area was added to the North side of the building in 1971–1972.
The aquarium is in the basement of the building, and is a corridor designed to look like an underwater cave. The tanks along each side of the corridor are filled with approximately 80,000 litres (21,000 US gal) of filtered seawater, providing a natural environment for the residents. The displays include sea anemones and plants, octopuses, sea urchins, corals, bivalves, crabs, lobsters, sea turtles, dolphins, seals, mollusks, sharks, and many other fish. There is a separate holding facility for incoming specimens and organisms tha need special handling, where the facility also cares for sea turtles and seals that have been injured nearby.
- "Hydrobiological Station of Rhodes". rhodes-aquarium.hcmr.gr. Hellenic Centre for Marine Research. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- "The Aquarium of Rhodes". faliraki-info.com. Faliraki Directory. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "Aquarium". greeka.com. Greeka.com. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "Marine Aquarium". rhodesguide.com. Rhodes Guide. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "Rhodes Aquarium". travel-rhodes.com. Travel--rhodes.com. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- Media related to Museum of the Rhodes Aquarium at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Rhodes Aquarium at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website