Ar-Rutbah offensive (2016)
On March 13, a senior Iraqi general reported that ISIL has fully withdrawn from the city of Ar-Rutbah to Al-Qa'im, after they began leaving the night before. The withdrawal was confirmed by a member of Anbar's security council. It was also reported that ISIL had abandoned the town of Kabisa as well, and they had also withdrawn from Hīt to some degree, with Iraqi warplanes bombing the retreating militants. This was the first time that ISIL has withdrawn from a major urban area without an actual fight, and the retreat came after recent losses on the battlefield for ISIL in Syria and in the Anbar Province, including a recent offensive on Hīt. However, ISIL returned to the town on the following day.
On May 16, the Iraqi Army launched an offensive to recapture the town of Ar-Rutbah, and the rest of the Ar-Rutba District. The Iraqi Army attacked the town from three directions. A US official stated that Ar-Rutbah wasn't as well defended by ISIL as Ramadi or Fallujah, and that there were 100 to several hundred ISIL militants based in the town. On May 17, the commander of Anbar Operations, Major General Hadi Rseg announced that Iraqi Army fully recaptured Ar-Rutbah, and the surrounding areas in the Ar-Rutbah District. During the clashes, at least 4 Iraqi soldiers were killed and 5 more were wounded, and around 100 ISIL fighters were killed. The town is of strategic value as it sits on key transit routes between Iraq and Jordan. Its recapture has denied the ISIL of a "critical support zone".
- Battle of Ramadi (2014–15)
- Siege of Fallujah (2016)
- Mosul offensive (2016)
- List of wars and battles involving ISIL
- Adnan, Ghassan; Fitch, Asa (May 19, 2016). "Iraqi Forces Recapture Strategic Town From Islamic State" – via Wall Street Journal.
- "Iraq launches operation to retake Anbar town | The National". Thenational.ae. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Mamoun, Abdelhak. "9 security members killed, wounded in battles of Rutba District". Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Baghdad Takes Rutba From Islamic State; Jordan-Iraq Commercial Route to Reopen (Video): Juan Cole". truthdig.com. May 19, 2016.
- "ISIS pulls out of town in Iraq's Anbar: general". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- "IS jihadists pull out of several Iraq towns: officers". Yahoo News. March 13, 2016. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- "Anbar officials see voluntary ISIS withdrawal from some towns". Rudaw. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- "ISIS returns to Iraqi town, 24 hours after vacating it". deccanchronicle.com.
- Mamoun, Abdelhak. "Security forces start liberation operation of Rutba District from 3 axes Ar-Rutbah Offensive (2016)". Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Amre Sarhan (18 May 2016). "Security forces fully liberate al-Rutba District, announces Anbar Operations". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- Morris, Loveday; Salim, Mustafa. "Iraqi forces retake Rutbah from ISIS and eye Fallujah for next battle". Washington Post. The Washington Post. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
|This military-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|