|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Map of Qatar with Al-Rayyan highlighted
|Coordinates (Al-Rayyan): Coordinates:|
|• Total||2,511 km2 (970 sq mi)|
|Population (2016) 2015 Census|
|• Density||290/km2 (750/sq mi)|
|Time zone||AST (UTC+3)|
|ISO 3166 code||QA-RA|
Al-Rayyan (Arabic: الريان) also Ar Rayyan is the largest municipality in the state of Qatar. Al Rayyan means 'the source of irrigation' and as per Islam it also means 'a door in heaven' or 'one of the Gates of Paradise'. Its primary settlement is the town of the same name, which largely hugs Doha city and functions as a suburb, with vast expanse of undeveloped lands administered by the municipality.
Al-Rayyan is bordered by the following municipalities:
Al Rayyan Municipality was created as an independent municipal administration, under the Ministry of Municipality and Urban Planning by virtue of law No.19/1972 issued in 1979, stating, in its first article, the creation of municipalities in Qatar under the Ministry of Municipal Affairs. In its second article, the law stated that each of these municipalities shall have a council headed by one person and comprising at least four members nominated by decree.
Among the most important regions and districts of Al Rayyan Municipality: Al-Wajba, al-Shakab, al-Rayyan, Maeedher, al-Ghorafa, Ein Khaled, Marrikh, al-Shahaniya, al-Khurayb, al-Nasraniya, al-Outouriya, al-Jamilya, aldoha
Since 2004, Al Jumaliyah municipality was merged with Al Rayyan municipality; Jarayan al Batnah was split between municipality Al Rayyan and municipality Al Wakrah, Doha Industrial Area split off, Zone 58 of Doha is an enclave in Ar Rayyan.
Note: 2010 adjusted figures here, 2015 preliminary figures
|Registered live births by nationality and sex|
|Zone||Area (km²)||Population (2010)|
Gharrafat Al Rayyan
Old Al Rayyan
Fereej Al Zaeem
|New Al Rayyan
|Fereej Al Amir
Fereej Al Soudan
|Fereej Al Soudan
New Fereej Al Ghanim
Fereej Al Murra
Fereej Al Manaseer
|Fereej Al Asiri
New Fereej Al Khulaifat
Landmarks and historic sites
- There are several types of ancient castles.
- Tower Park and Aspire.
- Number of universities, colleges and institutes of the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development (Qatar Foundation).
- Number of sports clubs (Al Rayyan - Gharafa - Muaither - Sailiya)
- Many public gardens and parks.
- Racing and Equestrian Club.
- Circuit racing.
- "Census 2010". Qatar Statistics Authority. 2010. Archived from the original on 9 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- "Population from 1986–2009". Qatar Statistics Authority. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Population and social statistics". Qatar Statistics Authority. 2004. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Population statistics". Qatar Information Exchange. Archived from the original on 1 July 2015. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Qatar Statistics Authority website". Qatar Statistics Authority. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Al Rayyan Municipality". Ministry of Municipality and Urban Planning. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Al Rayyan.|
Al Shahaniyah travel guide from Wikivoyage