This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
الأكاديمية العربية للعلوم والتكنولوجيا والنقل البحري
|President||Ismail Abdelghafar Farag|
|Campuses||El Alamein, Sharjah, Alexandria, Cairo, Smart Village, Port Said, Aswan, Latakia|
The Arab Academy for Science, Technology & Maritime Transport (AASTMT) (Arabic: الأكاديمية العربية للعلوم والتكنولوجيا والنقل البحري) is a regional university operated by the Arab League which runs programs in marine transportation, business, and engineering. AASTMT started as a notion in the Arab League Transport Committee''s meetings on 11th of March, 1970. The Academy's inception was in 1972 in the city of Alexandria, Egypt. After that it expanded into Cairo.
The Arab Academy for Science and Technology
AASTMT's name has become the Arab Academy for Science and Technology: "A university specialized in maritime transport and many other disciplines" and its certificates have been made equivalent to those granted by Egyptian universities.
The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT)
Over five years (from 1991 to 1996), the educational and maritime training services were funded by the Egyptian Ministry of Transport. Consequently, in 1992, the AASTMT was granted the most modern training ship, "Aida 4", as a donation from the Japanese government.
In 1994 the AASTMT was awarded the most modern simulator in the world (completed in two phases) by the USA administration. Cooperation with the American counterpart continued to found an advanced technology center. Scholarships have exceeded 120,000 for students from 58 countries.
The World Bank has chosen the AASTMT from four international organizations representing the Norwegian Swedish Group, the Hungarian Group and the Danish Group to develop maritime education in Bangladesh by a limited tender. The AASTMT proposal was chosen as the best both technically and financially to carry out the project.
In October 1996 modified its title from: "The Arab Academy for Science and Technology: A university specialized in maritime transport." to "The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport" (AASTMT).
The AASTMT has obtained the approval of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Universities for considering the holders of the High Seas Second Officer eligible for affiliation with any Egyptian University or any 4-year higher education entity which a student can join after high school.
The AASTMT has flexibility in the process of transferring marine officers from vocational studies to that which allows them to obtain the bachelor's degree in Marine Navigation Technology. This is due to the application of the American Credit Hours System. In order to show the importance of this achievement, the holder of the High Seas Captain certificate, when sent to the United Kingdom to obtain the bachelor's degree, had to start his studies over regardless of his previous studies. However, due to the flexibility of the current system the AASTMT applies, it opened the door for its officers to obtain the bachelor's degree as well as the eligibility certificate in four years.
A report which was prepared by the Japan Transport Cooperation Association in March 1997 tells of the AASTMT progress and the flexibility with which it switched to science and technology than to science, technology and maritime transport. AASTMT has made its certificates equivalent to those granted by Egyptian universities in the fields of engineering and management.
Services and student activities
Dormitory, hostel, and restaurant services are available. The girls' hostel may house up to 100 girls.
In addition to tours and athletic activities, the Cultural Activities Department organizes seminars and talks. The annual Parents Day is organized by students.
Marwa Elselehdar, a graduate of the Department of Maritime Transport and Technology, is Egypt's first female sea captain. She works on the Egyptian government's training ship, the Aida IV (IMO: 9018775).
Community service programmes and continuous education
AASTMT offers educational programmes to serve the community of Alexandria. The programmes enhance the skills of students in language, computing, secretarial work, aviation tickets reservation, marketing and management.
The programmes start-over every three months, and run all year round. They are carried out at the AASTMT headquarters in Miami, Sidi Bishr and downtown. The programmes are offered according to an evening schedule. The courses are sometimes designed for groups of employees in a company or organizations. The estimated number of those benefiting from these programmes throughout the year, ranges from 15,000 to 20,000 Alexandrians. There are summer courses for the education of children which benefit around 5,000 children.
- Maritime Transport & Technology
- Archaeology and Cultural Heritage
- Engineering & Technology
- Management & Technology
- Computing & Information Technology
- Graduate School of Business
- International Transport & Logistics
- Language & Communication
- Fisheries Technology & Aquaculture
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Law
- College of Dental Medicine
- College of Artificial Intelligence
- College of Medicine
These colleges can be in Arabic, English or French languages.
- Maritime Safety Institute Alexandria.
- Productivity & Quality Institute Alexandria.
- Technical & Vocational Institute Alexandria.
- Institute of International Transport & Logistics Alexandria & Cairo.
- Port training Institute Alexandria & Port Said.
- Institute for Language Studies Alexandria & Cairo.
- Investment & Finance Institute Alexandria.
- Arab Institute for Trade & Commodities Exchange Alexandria.
- Maritime Upgrading Studies Institute Alexandria.
- International Examination Centre Alexandria.
- Academy Publishing Center [permanent dead link]
- Strategic Marketing & Entrepreneurship Center 
- Industry Service Center Alexandria.
- Marine Hotel Center Alexandria.
- Information and Documentation Center Alexandria.
- Multimedia Center Alexandria.
- Regional informatics Center Alexandria.
- Computer Services Center Alexandria.
- Computer Networks & Data Center Alexandria.
- Research & Consultation Center Alexandria & Portsaid.
- Business Development Center Alexandria.
- Regional Center for Disaster Risk reduction Alexandria.
- Arab Center for Transport Study Alexandria.
- Arab Center for Media Alexandria.
- Maritime Certificates Renewal
- International Maritime Transport Forum
- Agreements and International Cooperations Center
- International Education Programs Deanery Alexandria.
- Community Service and Continuing Education Alexandria.
- Deanery of Postgraduate Studies Alexandria.
- Deanery of Student Affairs Alexandria.
- Deanery of Sports Alexandria.
- Integrated Simulators Complex Alexandria & Portsaid.
- International Maritime Organization Compound Alexandria.
- Alexandria (Main HeadQuarter).
- Cairo. Sheraton Branch & Dokki Branch
- Smart Village
Branches under construction:
- "Centre for Business & Economic Research - Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport". Centre for Business & Economic Research - Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT)". Top Universities. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport AASTMT – SiE". Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport AASTMT – SiE. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- Club, The IG. "Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport – The IG Club". Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Maritime Education & Training". www.aast.edu.
- "Marwa Elselehdar: Egypt's first female sea captain is riding waves of success". Arab News. 2021-03-20. Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- AASTMT website
- AASTMT Colleges
- AAST Official Facebook page
- Ports Training Institute
- League of Arab States
- Graduate School of Business
- Computing and Information Technology
- Human Rights Watch: The Repression of Academic Freedom in Egyptian Universities.
- Multimedia Center
- Madrastyonline site
- AASTMT Institutes
- AASTMT Centers
- AASTMT Alumni