Arab Academy for Science, Technology & Maritime Transport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|President||Ismail Abdul-Gaffar Ismail|
|Campus||Alexandria, Cairo, Port Said, Aswan, Latakia|
The Arab Academy for Science, Technology & Maritime Transport (Arabic: الأكاديمية العربية للعلوم والتكنولوجيا والنقل البحري) is a regional university operated by the Arab League which runs programs in marine transportation, business, and engineering.
- 1 The Arab Academy for Science and Technology
- 2 The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT)
- 3 Certificates
- 4 Services and student activities
- 5 Community service programmes and continuous education
- 6 Colleges
- 7 Institutes
- 8 Centers
- 9 Deaneries
- 10 Complexes
- 11 Campuses
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
The Arab Academy for Science and Technology
AASTMT's name has become the Arab Academy for Science and Technology: "A university specialized in maritime transport" and its certificates have been made equivalent to those granted by Egyptian universities.
The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT)
Over five years (from 1991 to 1996), the educational and maritime training services were funded by the Egyptian Ministry of Transport. Consequently, in 1992, the AASTMT was granted the most modern training ship, "Aida 4", as a donation from the Japanese government.
In 1994 the AASTMT was awarded the most modern simulator in the world (completed in two phases) from the USA administration. Cooperation with the American counterpart continued to found an advanced technology center. Scholarships have exceeded 120,000 for students from 58 countries.
The World Bank has chosen the AASTMT from four international organizations representing the Norwegian Swedish Group, the Hungarian Group and the Danish Group to develop maritime education in Bangladesh by a limited tender. The AASTMT proposal was chosen as the best both technically and financially to carry out the project.
In October 1996 modified its title from: "The Arab Academy for Science and Technology: A university specialized in maritime transport." to "The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport" (AASTMT).
The AASTMT has obtained the approval of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Universities for considering the holders of the High Seas Second Officer eligible for the affiliation with any Egyptian University or any 4-year higher education entity which a student can join after high school.
The AASTMT has flexibility in the process of transferring marine officers from vocational studies to that which allows them to obtain the bachelors degree in Marine Navigation Technology. This is due to the application of the American Credit Hours System. In order to show the importance of this achievement, the holder of the High Seas Captain certificate, when sent to the United Kingdom to obtain the bachelors degree, had to start his studies over regardless of his previous studies. However, due to the flexibility of the current system the AASTMT applies, it opened the door for its officers to obtain the bachelors degree as well as the eligibility certificate in four years.
A report which was prepared by the Japan Transport Cooperation Association in March 1997 tells of the AASTMT progress and the flexibility with which it switched to science and technology then to science, technology and maritime transport. AASTMT has made its certificates equivalent to those granted by Egyptian universities in the fields of engineering and management.
Services and student activities
Services include dormitories, hostels and restaurants. The girls hostel can accommodate up to 100 girls.
Seminars and lectures are organized by the Cultural Activities Department in addition to trips and athletic activities. Students organize the annual Parents Day.
Community service programmes and continuous education
AASTMT offers educational programmes to serve the community of Alexandria. The programmes enhance the skills of students in language, computing, secretarial work, aviation tickets reservation, marketing and management.
The programmes start-over every three months, and run all year round. They are carried out at the AASTMT headquarters in Miami, Sidi Bishr and downtown. The programmes are offered according to an evening schedule. The courses are sometimes designed for groups of employees in a company or organizations. The estimated number of those benefiting from these programmes throughout the year, ranges from 15,000 to 20,000 Alexandrians. There are summer courses for the education of children which benefit around 5,000 children.
- Maritime Transport & Technology
- Engineering & Technology
- Management & Technology
- Computing & Information Technology
- Graduate School of Business
- International Transport & Logistics
- Language & Communication
- Fisheries Technology & Aquaculture
- Maritime Safety Institute Alexandria.
- Productivity & Quality Institut Alexandria.
- Technical & Vocational Institute Alexandria.
- Institute of International Transport & Logistics Alexandria & Cairo.
- Port training Institute Alexandria & Port Said.
- Institute for Language Studies Alexandria & Cairo.
- Investment & Finance Institute Alexandria.
- Arab Institute for Trade & Commodities Exchange Alexandria.
- Maritime of Upgrading Studies Alexandria.
- Academy Publishing Center [permanent dead link]
- Strategic Marketing & Entrepreneurship Center 
- Industry Service Center Alexandria.
- Marine Hotel Center Alexandria.
- Information and Documentation Center Alexandria.
- Multimedia Center Alexandria.
- Regional informatics Center Alexandria.
- Computer Services Center Alexandria.
- Computer Networks & Data Center Alexandria.
- Research & Consultation Center Alexandria & Portsaid.
- Business Development Center Alexandria.
- Regional Center for Disaster Risk reduction Alexandria.
- Arab Center for Transport Study Alexandria.
- Arab Center for Media Alexandria.
- International Education Programs Deanery Alexandria.
- Community Service and Continuing Education Alexandria.
- Deanery of Postgraduate Studies Alexandria.
- Deanery of Student Affairs Alexandria.
- Deanery of Sports Alexandria.
- Integrated Simulators Complex Alexandria & Portsaid.
- International Maritime Organization Compound Alexandria.
- Lattakia Syria.
Branches under construction:
- AAST, Official page. "AAST Official FB page".
- AASTMT website
- AAST Official Facebook page
- Ports Training Institute
- League of Arab States
- Graduate School of Business
- Computing and Information Technology
- Human Rights Watch: The Repression of Academic Freedom in Egyptian Universities.
- Multimedia Center
- Madrastyonline site
- Egypt: Arab Science and Technology and Maritime College Profile