Arab Academy for Science, Technology & Maritime Transport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016)|
|President||Prof. Dr. Ismail Abd elGhafar|
|Campus||Alexandria, Cairo, Port Said, Aswan, Latakia|
The Arab Academy for Science, Technology & Maritime Transport (Arabic: الأكاديمية العربية للعلوم والتكنولوجيا والنقل البحري) is a regional university operated by the Arab League which is known for its programs in Marine Transportation, Business, and Engineering.
- 1 Historical Background
- 2 The Arab Academy for Science and Technology: A university specialized in "maritime transport"
- 3 The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT)
- 4 Certificates Equivalence
- 5 Services and Students Activities
- 6 Community Service Programmes and Continuous Education
- 7 Colleges
- 8 Institutes
- 9 Centers
- 10 Deaneries
- 11 Complexes
- 12 Campuses
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
The AASTMT started its activity in a temporary location in Alexandria (1) on 28 February 1972. A five-year technical aid of 2.3 million dollars was allocated to the project in the form of experts, delegations and training equipment. The project, then, got a two-year extension with fund raising to $3.6 million.
The first location was in the Maritime Transport Institute inTalaat Harb street then was moved to Sasoon street in Gleem.
Indeed, the Arab Republic of Egypt has fulfilled its obligation in conformity with the eighth item in the projects document that specifies the governments contributions. Egypt provided the following:
- The 140-acre land in El-Tarh in Abu Kir, Alexandria, as the AASTMTs first location.
- The buildings, felucca (small sailing boat) anchorage and anchorage buoys.
- The furniture, supplies and training equipment which are not provided by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- The sailing boats, life boats and launches for training on the use of radars.
- The training ship "Aida 4", whenever needed.
- The special supplies for transportation like buses for students and staff members.
The Arab Academy for Science and Technology: A university specialized in "maritime transport"
This has led to adding up to the AASTMTs name and activities to be a major attraction for learners and also to guarantee the required sources of funding to sustain the high-expense maritime education and to reflect the AASTMTs real image. Hence, the AASTMTs name has become the Arab Academy for Science and Technology: "A university specialized in maritime transport" and its certificates have been made equivalent to those granted by Egyptian universities. The AASTMT has received Arab and international recognition due to its acknowledged and unique achievement.
The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT)
Over five years (from 1991 to 1996), the educational and maritime training services excelled through the continuous Egyptian Ministry of Transport funding. Consequently, in 1992, the AASTMT was granted the most modern training ship, "Aida 4", as a donation from the Japanese government. This achievement on the part of the AASTMT has contributed to the AREs achievement in the field of supporting maritime education and training.
As a reward for its eminence and great reputation on the international level, in 1994 the AASTMT was awarded the most modern simulator in the world (completed in two phases) from the USA administration. Cooperation with the American counterpart continued to found an advanced technology center. At this stage, the AASTMT has become capable of occupying an eminent position on the international level and of exceeding regional horizons to international ones because of owning the best training vessel, the most modern simulator in addition to offering a number of scholarships that have exceeded 120,000 scholarships at that time for students from 58 countries. For these many and tempting reasons and fruitful achievements, the World Bank has chosen the AASTMT from four international organizations representing the Norwegian Swedish Group, the Hungarian Group and the Danish Group to develop maritime education in Bangladesh by a limited tender. This has definitely been a glamorous achievement and the AASTMTs proposal has been chosen as the best both technically and financially to carry out this significant international project that placed the AASTMT in the list of consultation agencies in the field of maritime transport at the World Bank and the universal maritime society as a whole.
In addition, in October 1996, after surviving all the difficulties and fighting all the battles, and after having such secure position in the fields of engineering and business science and technology, it has become important that the AASTMT invest its achievement in the area of maritime transport to modify its title from: "The Arab Academy for Science and Technology: A university specialized in maritime transport." to "The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport" (AASTMT).
The AASTMT has managed to obtain the approval of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Universities for considering the holders of the High Seas Second Officer eligible for the affiliation with any Egyptian University or any 4-year higher education entity which a student can join after high school. (Thanaweya Amma)
It is worth mentioning that the AASTMT has the precedence in achieving a high degree of flexibility in the process of transferring the marine officers from the path of vocational studies to that which allows them to obtain the bachelors degree in Marine Navigation Technology. This is due to the application of the American Credit Hours System. In order to show the importance of this achievement, it would be essential to mention that the holder of the High Seas Captain certificate, when sent to the United Kingdom to obtain the bachelors degree, had to start his studies over regardless of his previous studies. However, due to the flexibility of the current system the AASTMT applies, it opened the door for its officers to obtain the bachelors degree as well as the eligibility certificate in four years only something deemed by experts an unprecedented achievement.
In addition, the report which was prepared by the Japan Transport Cooperation Association in March 1997 about the AASTMTs progress over the years and the flexibility with which it switched to science and technology then to science, technology and maritime transport, is considered the most sublime honor the AASTMT has received, especially that the honor is bestowed upon the AASTMT by the country which occupies the first position in the field of maritime transport internationally. The AASTMT has also managed to make all its certificates equivalent to those granted by Egyptian universities in the fields of Engineering and Management.
Services and Students Activities
The AASTMT adopts a distinct policy when it comes to caring for its students. This policy considers the student the focal point of educational services as well as administrative support. As a consequence of this policy, the AASTMTs main headquarters includes various activities and services, the aim of which is to make the life of students easier. Among these activities and services are the dorms, hostels and restaurants, which have the capacity for 1300 students, and which are fully equipped with all means of comfort. In addition to these facilities, there is also the girls hostel which can accommodate up to 100 girls.
Nautical and Marine Engineering students lead a safe and organized life within the campus of the AASTMT, starting from abiding by the uniform to the commitment to leadership and athletic drills. This goes on for the first two academic years.
Throughout the year, all AASTMT students practice their cultural activities through the seminars and lectures organized by the Cultural Activities Department. That is in addition to entertaining trips and athletic activities. In this regard, students are always keen on organizing the annual Parents Day in order to improve and enhance the cooperation, and the cultural and social affinity between the students and their parents.
Community Service Programmes and Continuous Education
Due to the AASTMTs belief in the role of the educational institutions in serving the community, it has started offering various educational programmes to serve the community of Alexandria. The aim of these programmes is to further develop and enhance the skills of those who did were denied the opportunity of being well qualified or distinguished in the fields of language, computing, secretarial work, aviation tickets reservation, marketing and management. These programmes also grant them a chance for continuous education, and open new tracks for them to pursue other fields of specialization should they choose to.
These programmes start over every three months, and they are ongoing all year round. They are carried out in the AASTMTs headquarters in Miami, Sidi Bishr and downtown. The programmes are offered according to an evening schedule. These courses attract a considerable number of those who aim at developing and enhancing their vocational skills, as well as gaining new ones. In addition, these courses are sometimes especially designed for groups of employees in a certain company or organizations. The estimated number of those benefiting from these programmes, throughout the year, ranges from 15,000 to 20,000 Alexandrians. Furthermore, there are the summer courses for the education of children which benefit around 5,000 children.
- Maritime Transport & Technology
- Engineering & Technology
- Management & Technology
- Computing & Information Technology
- Graduate School of Business
- International Transport & Logistics
- Language & Communication
- Fisheries Technology & Aquaculture
- Maritime Safety Institute Alexandria.
- Productivity & Quality Institut Alexandria.
- Technical & Vocational Institute Alexandria.
- Institute of International Transport & Logistics Alexandria & Cairo.
- Port training Institute Alexandria & Port Said.
- Institute for Language Studies Alexandria & Cairo.
- Investment & Finance Institute Alexandria.
- Arab Institute for Trade & Commodities Exchange Alexandria.
- Maritime of Upgrading Studies Alexandria.
- Academy Publishing Center 
- Strategic Marketing & Entrepreneurship Center 
- Industry Service Center Alexandria.
- Marine Hotel Center Alexandria.
- Information and Documentation Center Alexandria.
- Multimedia Center Alexandria.
- Regional informatics Center Alexandria.
- Computer Services Center Alexandria.
- Computer Networks & Data Center Alexandria.
- Research & Consultation Center Alexandria & Portsaid.
- Business Development Center Alexandria.
- Regional Center for Disaster Risk reduction Alexandria.
- Arab Center for Transport Study Alexandria.
- Arab Center for Media Alexandria.
- International Education Programs Deanery Alexandria.
- Community Service and Continuing Education Alexandria.
- Deanery of Postgraduate Studies Alexandria.
- Deanery of Student Affairs Alexandria.
- Deanery of Sports Alexandria.
- Integrated Simulators Complex Alexandria & Portsaid.
- International Maritime Organization Compound Alexandria.
Inside the State Country:
Outside the State Country:
- Lattakia Syria.
Branches Under Construction:
- AAST, Official page. "AAST Official FB page".
- AASTMT Official Website
- AAST Official Facebook page
- Ports Training Institute
- League of Arab States
- Graduate School of Business
- Computing and Information Technology
- Human Rights Watch: The Repression of Academic Freedom in Egyptian Universities.
- Multimedia Center.
- Madrastyonline Site.
- Egypt: Arab Science and Technology and Maritime College Profile