Arab Open University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|الجامعة العربية المفتوحة|
|Motto||Towards a promising future|
|President||Prince Talal ibn Abdulaziz|
Arab Open University (AOU, in Arabic الجامعة العربية المفتوحة) is a non-profit, private Pan Arab university founded in 2002. The university occupies several campuses located across the Middle East, including in Kuwait, Jordan, and Lebanon. In 2003 campuses were opened in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Oman. The AOU is affiliated with the UK Open University (UKOU). Four validated programs have been established:
- Faculty of Information Technology and Computing
- Faculty of Language Studies (English language)
- Faculty of Business Studies
- Faculty of Educational Studies
Saudi Arabia branches
In 2003, a year following the establishment of the AOU, the inaugural Saudi Arabian campus was opened in Riyadh, the nation's capital. Since its launch, the Riyadh branch has experienced significant success, with the center currently catering to a total of 1,500 students. Saudi Arabia's universities have traditionally accepted predominantly Saudi Arabian students, while students from other nationalities have been turned away. However, the AOU was established with a more open approach. The AOU website explains its philosophy of "An Open System of Education", whereby it is flexible in its capacity to accommodate a "wider base of Higher Education (HE) seekers".
Arab Open University (AOU) has 8 branches.
- Saudi Arabia.
Undergraduate programs 2010
The AOU offers three programs co-awarded in collaboration with the United Kingdom Open University (UKOU). The AOU offering the following certifications:
- BSc Computing
- BSc Computing with Business
- BSc Bachelor of Science in Information and Communication Technologies
- BSc Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Computing
- BSc Web Development
- BSc Graphic and Multimedia Design Technology
- MSc Computing
- MSc Information Security and Forensics
- BA Business Studies – Accounting track
- BA Business Studies - Systems Track
- BA English Language and Literature.
- BA English Language with Business.
- BA Elementary Education
- BA Special Education – Mental Retardation
The AOU has three semesters: first, second, and summer.
- Vaclav Snasel; Jan Platos; Eyas El-Qawasmeh, eds. (2011). Digital Information Processing and Communications: International ..., Part 1 (Google book (uploaded)). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer. p. 333. ISBN 978-3-642-22388-4.
- AOU, History. . Available from:'"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2010-08-15. '(Accessed 15 Aug 2010)
- "Open Learning" (Web page). arabou.edu.kw (in English and Arabic). Arab Open University. 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- AOU, undergraduate programs. , Available from:' "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2010-08-15. ' (Accessed 15 Aug 2010).
- AOU, KSA. Academic Calendar. . Available from "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2010-08-15. (accessed 15 Aug 2010).