Arabs in Germany
العرب في المانيا
Estimated at around 400,000- 500,000
|Regions with significant populations
|Berlin, Frankfurt am Main, Munich, Cologne, Hanover, Bremen, Dortmund, Essen, Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Bonn, Gelsenkirchen, Offenbach, Leipzig
|Majority Islam, but also Christianity.
Arabs in Germany are people of Arab descent living in Germany. They form the second-largest predominantly Muslim immigrant group in Germany after the large German - Turkish community. There is an estimated number of 400,000- 500,000 people of Arab origin residing in Germany. Most Arabs came to Germany in the 1970s, partly as Gastarbeiter from Morocco, the Turkish Province of Mardin (see: Arabs in Turkey) and Tunisia. However, the majority of Arabs are refugees of the conflicts in the Middle East, e.g. the Lebanese Civil War, Palestinian exodus and the recent Iraq War, Libyan Civil War, and current Syrian civil war. The Arabs in Germany are not a homogenous group, because they originate from about 20 countries.
The largest concentration of Arab people in Germany, can be found in Berlin, where they make up 2%-3% (70,000 people) of the population. The percentage is significantly higher in the Berlin neighborhoods of Neukölln, Kreuzberg and Gesundbrunnen. Other significant centres of Arab populations in Germany can be found in Frankfurt am Main, Cologne, Munich, in the Ruhrgebiet, Hanover, Bonn and Hamburg. Most Arabs reside in urban areas and cities in former West-Germany. The only place in former Eastern Germany with a sizeable number of Arabs is Leipzig, where people of any Arab descent make up 0.8% of the total population (4,000 out of 522,800).
Notable Germans of Arab descent
- Baba Saad, rapper of Lebanese origin
- Bushido, rapper of Tunisian origin
- Adil Chihi, football player of Moroccan origin
- Samy Deluxe, rapper and hip hop artist of Sudanese origin
- Loco Dice, DJ and electronic music producer of Tunisian origin
- Rola El-Halabi, boxer of Lebanese origin
- Sami Khedira, football player of Tunisian origin
- Fady Maalouf, singer of Lebanese origin
- Elyas M'Barek, actor of Tunisian/Austrian origins
- Tarééc, singer of Lebanese-Palestinian origin
- Adel Tawil, singer of Egyptian Tunisian origin
- Hisham Zreiq, Filmmaker and Visual artist of Palestinian Origin