Arabs in the Netherlands

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Arabs in the Netherlands
العرب في هولندا
Total population
180,000[1]
Regions with significant populations
predominantly Randstad (Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague)
Morocco Moroccans60,000 (The Dutch Moroccan community is estimated at 350,000. But only 15% of them are of Arab origin. The remaining 85% are of Berber -mainly Riffian- origin).[2]
Iraq Iraqis55,000[2]
Egypt Egyptians23,000[2]
Syria Syrians88,000[2]
Tunisia Tunisians8,558[2]
Algeria Algerians7,733[2]
State of Palestine Palestinians35,000[2]
Lebanon Lebanese5,187[2]
Kuwait Kuwaitis1,524[2]
Jordan Jordanians1,523[2]
Saudi Arabia Saudis1,519[2]
Languages
Arabic language
Dutch language
Religion
Mainly Islam and minority Christianity
Related ethnic groups
Arabs, Arab diaspora

Arab Dutch (Arabische Nederlanders), also referred to as Dutch Arabs (Nederlandse Arabieren), are citizens or residents of the Netherlands whose ancestry traces back to the Arab World. Many of them might not actually be ethnically Arab due to the general confusion between the meaning of Arab and other ethnic groups coming from the same area (such as the case of Kurds, Berbers, Turkmen, Assyrians, Roma, etc.); therefore, the exact number of the actual Arab population in the Netherlands may be greatly biased and incorrect.

Politics[edit]

In 2001, two Arab immigrants to the Netherlands, Egyptian-born Farouk Ibrahim (58) and Moroccan-born Mustafa Aboustib, set up the Arab Democratic Party (Arabische Democratische Partij), complaining that Arabs were not well represented in mainstream political parties except as "pretty Arab faces".[3] In 2007, a group of Arab Dutch have complained about the television network Al Jazeera's effective monopoly on Arabic broadcasting in the country.[4]

Notable people[edit]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Dutch media perceived as much more biased than Arabic media - Media & Citizenship Report conducted by University of Utrecht" (PDF), Utrecht University, 2010-09-10, retrieved 2010-11-29[permanent dead link]
  2. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k Bevolking; generatie, geslacht, leeftijd en herkomstgroepering, 1 januari, Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, 2010-01-01, retrieved 2010-06-02
  3. ^ "We zijn de valse beloftes zat (We are fed up with false promises)", de Volkskrant, 2001-08-11, retrieved 2010-06-02
  4. ^ "Arabische Nederlanders in actie tegen Al Jazeera (Arab Dutch defy Al Jazeera news coverage)", De Pers, 2007-11-22, archived from the original on 2011-09-30, retrieved 2010-06-02

External links[edit]